no heartbeat

I WENT TO THE ER LAST NITE B/C I WAS SPOTTING. I'M 4 WEEKS AND THEY GAVE ME A VAGINAL ULTRASOUND AND THERE WAS NO HEARTBEAT I AM SO SCARED THIS IS MY FIRST PREGNANCY THE DR TOLD ME I WAS EITHER HAVING A MISCARRIAGE OR ITS TO EARLY TO HEAR THE HEARTBEAT. I'M SO SAD AND WORRIED RITE NOW.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No dont freak out i think its too early to hear it! Im on my second pregnancy and they make you wait till your so far along to hear the heart beat. I think your fine and I had spotting with both pregnancys they were just small hemorages and healed on there own. Just be paitent I know its hard sweetie, hang in there but definatly follow up with your obgyn and tell her what happend. Best of luck
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I haven't been pregnant for some time but I'm pretty sure you can not hear a heartbeat at four weeks. I'm so sorry for your sadness and your spotting.

You need to see your own ob for a vaginal u/s and also an abdominal u/s, one machine different parts of it do different testing. Did the o r do a blood test for amount of hormone? Ask for a repeat of that w/your own ob too. If you can Get a copy of your e r visit's records for your ob to compare against the testing your own ob will do. You might be able to get medical records somehow to fax to your ob the results of your e r testing.

Prayers for you mama breathe slow rest you need rest. Google Strength of A Woman. Youtube musicians that are calming for you.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• the heartbeat usually begins about day 18-21. is it possible you are less along than you thought
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• 4 weeks? you can't hear a heartbeat at 4wks. i'm surprised they didn't do an ultra sound. i was 6 weeks and they couldn't hear a heartbeat so they did a quick ultra sound just to be sure.
    Anonymous

• Even with the vaginal ultrasound they usually can't hear it til about 6 weeks. I would try not to worry. It could be nothing.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 2:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• dont freak with all my pregnacies (3) i was told i was having a miscarriage b/c i bleed till month 6 with all of them and there was no heartbeat but they even wanted to do a dnc on 2 of mine and i said no i wanted to wait and see what happens and im glad i did i went back a few weeks later and there my kids were i have two very healthy kids and 21 weeks preg with #3... so dont freak you self out it is very early for them to hear the heartbeat most done hear it till 6-8 weeks good luck and congrats
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Sometimes they hide, too!

I went in at 22wks and OB said he couldn't find the heartbeat. Immediately went for an US. There he was, and we could see it beating, so he took a listen again, and you could ever-so-faintly hear him in there! Just be patient! If you're really worried, take another at-home-test, from my understanding, it doesn't take too long for the HCG levels to decrease or disappear after a miscarry.
    Anonymous

• They don't usually pick up a heartbeat until 6 weeks.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Hey, dont freak out hun, Usually they wait a while to even try for the heartbeat because its so hard to find it that early. I didnt get to hear my daughters until 12 weeks and he even told me before he did the heartbeat then that if he couldnt find it not to panic its just to soon.
    Goodluck
    Mommy2be6810

Answer by Mommy2be6810 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Too early to see the heartbeat. Don't freak out just yet. I know it's hard not to though.
    Anonymous