giving baby baths

I have gotten into the habit of giving my baby a bath every night before bedtime.
He's 4months old.

Is that okay, he sweats a lot in his sleep and since he has reflux he spits up a lot and the bib doesnt catch everything I imagine he doesnt feel too clean even after we clean him.

Is bathing a baby everyday okay?
how often do you bathe your baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lotions and powders have a lot of chemicals (cheap powder especialy has talc which is very bad).
    If you are going to bath often, sponge bathe and cut down on immersion baths, IMO. Don't use too much soap and make sure the one you use is mild and additive/scent free . Oatmeal soap (the real kind) is very soothing to the skin and you do not need a lot. lather is overkill. For moisturizing nothing works better than pure aloe or pure oils like olive, shea butter, cononut, or cocoa butter (the good stuff a little goes a long way...raw, virgin)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i think everyday is ok as long as you lotion him up and use gentle soap on him. I give my grandson a bath every day when he is here and he is 6 months.
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It's fine. My pediatrician says you only need to bathe them every other or every 3rd day until they start crawling because it can dry their skin out to bathe daily. Like the PP, just be sure to moisturize his skin with lotion. Also, I really like Johnson's moistrizing baby wash that has lotion in it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I think its fine, my little girl is 6 months old and I do every other night.... But whatever works for you! Good Luck! :)
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 3:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• oh yeah, i have always givin my little one a bath eveyr night,i just dont wash with soap every night. its a good routine to get into,my now almost 2yr old sleeps batter with her bath
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• its fine.

do what YOU FEEL is right. you're the mom.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I have bathed my son every night since he was born (unless he fell asleep before I got him to the bath tub) so yea you are defnitely fine. My son is now 14 months old :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Babies don't need baths at all. It can dry their skin and the chemicals in the products are bad. If you must give your baby a bath plain warm softened water (from a water softener) water would be the best choice.

I have sensitive skin and just getting wet in the shower with no soap makes my skin hurt the whole day when my skin is going through a sensitive period. You can't tell by looking at my skin that there is a problem. If someone were giving me a bath every day with soap every day I would be cranky.

I'm allergic to formaldehyde and there are many chemicals that release formaldehyde in soap, shampoo, lotion, ect. If you use Johnson & Johnson all those chemicals are on your baby. I can't use products that say for sensitive skin like Aveeno.

My 17 mo grandbaby didn't get baths as a baby. Sometimes butt rinses in the sink. Now he gets sink baths when he is really dirty, about once a week.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i use organic soap

`OP
    Anonymous

• It is fine to bath your baby! I bathed my first everyday, she loved and still loves baths. There is nothing wrong with bathing a baby.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2010