What are the benefits of having a water birth?

I am very natural minded when it comes to births. I have had 3 unmedicated births, 1st at home, 2nd at the hospital, and 3rd in our van on the high way. I want a water birth with this one just to experience it. I hear it helps support your belly and perineum, but it also slows down labor if you are not that far into it. Just wondering what other benefits there are. Thanks.

clearemerald

Asked by clearemerald at 3:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've read that the warm water helps reduce the pain. Also, it is a less traumatic for the baby to enter another liquid state when first exitting the womb.
    Anonymous

• I have had a couple of waterbirths. I happen to have this:

Speeds up labor
    Reduces blood pressure
    Gives mother more feelings of control
    Provides significant pain relief
    Promotes relaxation
    Enables the mother to assume any position which is comfortable for labor and birth
    Conserves her energy
    Reduces the need for drugs and interventions
    Gives mother a private protected space
    Reduces perineal trauma and eliminates episiotomies
    Reduces cesarean section rates
    Is highly rated by mothers - typically stating they would consider giving birth in water again
    Is highly rated by experienced providers
    Encourages an easier birth for mother and a gentler welcome for baby
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I had my daughter drug free and gave birth in the tub...although I didn't get to labor very long in the tub because they wouldn't let me! I did find that it takes A LOT of pressure off your back when compared to the bed, and although I have never had a non water birth... I'm afraid to NOT have one now because it honestly didn't hurt much at all when her head came through. Since I have nothing to compare it to, however, I don't know how much it hurts in the first place...but I didn't even realize I tore until two days later.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2010