Why does she do this?

DD is constantly coming to us to tell us something when she could just use her smart little brain that I know she has. Yet she refuses to exercise good common sense.
A few minutes ago she said she thought she heard someone knock. Instead of looking out the window to see she comes and tells us.

Then she goes to look. Says our dog who is tied outside to go potty looks like her collar is off. Instead of just going out and helping our dog, she comes to us to ask what she should do. Its frustrating! I know she is a smart girl. Why won't she use her head?!

She's 8btw.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 3:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sounds like she wants some one on one time.go for walks with her every night
    Anonymous

• Maybe she's not getting as much attention as she wants and is trying find something to talk to you about, or maybe she's scared of stuff she see's on t.v. and is following safety advice?

Why don't you just ask her?

Anonymous

• sounds like she wants a little more attention!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• DD is an only child. She gets all the attention she could ever want. Now she's suppose to be cleaning her room though.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• wish my kids would do that. we have problem with people knocking on doors and robbing people at gun point. i keep tellin my kids if they hear something outside or if someone knocks to come get me or my husband and not to look to see who or what it is. be grateful your child is being smart and cautious.

a few weeks back we had someone try to kick in the door with me and my hubby in the living room...good thing my kids were in bed(they prolly would of open the door) cause the cops caught him down the street and he had a gun...if he would got in our house he prolly would of killed all of us. i live in a town of 12,000 people...stuff like this happens every where. would you want your child to open the door to a mad man?
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• She knows not to open the door and she knows she'd still have to tell us where she's going. And if I lived in that kind of neighborhood I'd move. This is a safe small town. We have our crime but nothing major.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• no town is safe. we live in a neighborhood where we used to leave our doors unlocked up until recently, and everyone here knows everyone else. it also is very quiet upscale area with upper middle class people. i thought this would be the last place for major crime. thats why i moved here. the person doing the break ins was from 3 hours away and a rather large city. i was really shocked that this guy picked my neighborhood, but he wasnt from here otherwise he would of known how tight knit we are and that we always look out for one another. which is why he got caught so fast, the people in the condos across from us seen him ive seen towns as small as 500 people have major crimes like kidnapping molesting robbery ect. it those towns where people think oh its so safe here stuff like that wont happen. so whats going to keep some psycho or some desperate person from driving to your town, your neighborhood and do something?
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• There is always crime in every town. But I'm not going to teach my dd to be afraid to look out the window or go to the door. Thats just asking to develop an anxiety disorder. No wonder our kids are messed up. They think their going to be kidnapped or killed by looking out a window! I'm all for safety measures. But you can only protect them so much without doing real harm by sheltering them.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Honestly that sounds like most kids this age that I know or have known. My almost 7 year old does it, my best friends 10 yr old does it, another friends kids do it..... It sometimes just takes them awhile to transition from having to tell mom or dad something first to knowing when it's appropriate to act on their own. Have you asked her about it... When I ask my son why he didn't just do something instead of telling me first, his response is often "I just wanted to let ya know mom" I don't have a problem with that. It's really not that big of a deal.
    Anonymous

• my daughter does the same thing she will come me and ask where things are even though she knows where it is. she is a very smart girl. i jsut tell her she knows where the stuff is and she needs to think about it if she cant remember.
    KandJmommy124

Answer by KandJmommy124 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2010