Teacher would rather see OWN child DIE then allow a gun for self defense!

This is a real letter!!!

I AM a math teacher at Brockton High School, the site of a school shooting earlier this month.

Current school security procedures lock down school populations in the event of armed assault. Some advocate abandoning this practice as it holds everyone in place, allowing a shooter easily to find victims.

An alternative to lockdown is immediate exodus via announcement. Although this removes potential hostages and makes it nearly impossible for the shooter to acquire preselected targets, it unfairly rewards resourceful children who move to safety off-site more shrewdly and efficiently than others.

Schools should level playing fields, not intrinsically reward those more resourceful. A level barrel is fair to all fish.

Some propose overturning laws that made schools gun-free zones even for teachers who may be licensed to securely carry concealed firearms elsewhere.

[continued]

29again

Asked by 29again at 3:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Lindalu2 ~ The only guns that should be legal are in the hands of police or security personnel. Period.

What country are you from?

NO gun ban ~ ANYWHERE on the planet has EVER removed guns from the hands of only police or security personnel. The criminals always keep theirs and the rest of the population pays for it ~ with one life after another.

To respond to the actual letter ~ if my kids attended this school, I would not give up until this idiot was no longer allowed to teach. Anyone that would prefer to bury their own child rather than defend them is NOT fit to be trusted with the lives of other children (or even his own). Anyone that would prefer putting every child at risk, rather than give even one a chance to live, needs psychiatric testing.

It's almost the same as abortions (except the Constitution specifically guarantees the right to own a gun/s). If you don't like guns, don't get one.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• [continued[

They argue that barring licensed-carry only ensures a defenseless, target-rich environment.

But as a progressive, I would sooner lay my child to rest than succumb to the belief that the use of a gun for self-defense is somehow not in itself a gun crime.

DOUG VAN GORDER
    Quincy

www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2009/12/28

I have to say that I am so thankful that this person is NOT MY PARENT!!! If he has children, they must be terrified, because they know their father will not protect them.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• WOW!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Being a native Bostonian, I can tell you that Brockton High is NOT a "nice" school--mostly because it is regional, you have a wide range of socio-economic demographics! When you mix that many diverse groups together, you are bound to have problems!

I have several close friends who went there in the 80's (we met in college), and THEN the student population (grades 9-12) was over 6000--NOW, according to their website there are 4300 students!!! It is/was a MASSIVE school--more like a college than a high school. They even had their own police sub-station (not sure if they still do, but they did back then)!

To have THAT attitude is more than just alarming, it's pathetic! I have no use for pacifists.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It's very sad that people are so willing to roll over and let people (or the government) violate their god-given rights. You don't HAVE to own a gun, but to say that owning a gun, using it to protect your own life and the lives of those around you is a crime is such a terrifying mindset, and one more and more people have.
    Anonymous

• I have to say, I would NOT send my son to a school where teachers were allowed to carry weapons
    no way, no how
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I have to say that I am so thankful that this person is NOT MY PARENT!!! If he has children, they must be terrified, because they know their father will not protect them.

It didnt say he would not protect his child and its a little extreme to act as if he doesnt care for the safety of his child based on the belief that no guns should be allowed in school. Alowing guns on shool premises would likely increase gun violence and accidents at school.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• "But as a progressive, I would sooner lay my child to rest than succumb to the belief that the use of a gun for self-defense is somehow not in itself a gun crime."

The man is an anti-gun freak, IMO. He would rather have a dead child than use a gun in self-defense of himself or his child. I wonder, if the choice was to use a knife for self-defense, would he use it? Most probably.

A gun is tool, like a car, a chainsaw, or a knife. All can kill in the wrong hands. That doesn't mean they don't have other useful purposes.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• What a freak! I am just wondering if this moron would think that a woman that uses whatever is at her disposal to free herself from her rapist is also a criminal.

I am glad he doesn't teach here.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Alowing guns on shool premises would likely increase gun violence and accidents at school.

***
    Do schools with police substations located AT the school, have an increase in gun violence?! The mere THOUGHT that a civilian MIGHT be carrying a concealed weapon, should be enough of a deterrent for most HIGH SCHOOL aged students to think twice!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2010