Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have anyother types of allergie medications for kids

I have a 5yr old and a 3 yr old who have horriable seasonal allergies and well that time of year is coming around. There eyes get so swollen and it looks like someone hit them in there eyes and they are just so crabby. I took them to a allergies and he wanted to put them on eye drops and nose spray and my husband said no was because it had steroids in the medication..
Any way my question is does anyone have any other types of medications I can try on my boys?

Answer Question

Asked by andersonboys3 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 3 (14 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • I know from my experiance with my children that the steroids are what helps the allergies. You husband should not be saying no to waht the doc tells you to give them. Is he a doctor himself??

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • My husband and I feel that Dr are great but you have to be your own child 's advocate and I know for a fact that the dr's get more money from the drug company's when they push there drugs.. We try not to put any drugs into our kids such as antibiotics(when they have ear inf they don't have that many we don't give then antibiotics, ) Steroids do a lot of damage on kids we read all the test reports from all the medications. You can't always trust DR. ..

    Answer by andersonboys3 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • have you tried something like Zyrtec? i know there are children's dosages, but I'm not sure for a 3 year old. Zyrtec is supposed to be for "indoor and outdoor" allergies.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • yeah we do zyterc and benadryl but you can only give them for a few days at a time because it can do liver dammage..

    Answer by andersonboys3 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • When taking any kind of medication there are risks. If you want medications, then you must weigh the risks against the benefits and make your decision. Obviously, you have decided that the risks are too high, therefore you must seek out other options that do not include medications. Consider consulting a homeopathic physician or a chiropracter, both of whom may be able to help with sinus issues. Another option is to move to another part of the country, somewhere where the things the children are allergic to do not grow in abundance.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • my boys do go to a chiropactor and if you know a place in the country that grass and trees don't grow let me know..

    Answer by andersonboys3 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • You could also purchase honey made locally to help fight against allergies.

    Answer by blogginmomma at 8:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • Zyrtec D. My son and I both have horrible allergies and we take Zyrtec D for months at a time and have NO problems. I have never heard of Zyrtec causing liver damage. I would think that my doctor would tell me that seeing I take Zyrtec D twice a day for 10 months a year.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • Childrens Clariton is awesome!

    Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • I use children's claritin for my boys when they need it.

    Answer by Krysden at 12:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.