Homeschooling

If you home school your children do you teach them creation or evolution and why?
Are there any guidelines regarding teaching biology, physics, geography or Earth's history that are required to be followed?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 4:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would find a homeschooling group in your area, or look up the guidelines set by your state
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• try a 4H group near you in your county. They usually have homeschool clubs. Also you can join another county's groups of any kind in most cases. 4H groups typically are about arts and crafts, community service, care of animals, hobbies - I know too that there are 4H groups that have also Homeschool clubs.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Guidelines and requirements vary by state, although I think that even in states that may have a science requirement, they will accept creation science. There are many boxed homeschooling curriculums that teach creation-based science; it is a common approach.

I am a homeschooling mom, and we don't teach creationism - we teach evolution, etc. because it's what we believe. When we talk about creation stories, it's in our exploration of world religions; these stories are valuable in a mythological context (which means that their literal truth is not as important as the spiritual truths/ideas that they convey.) I might also talk about spiritual elements of the creation of the Universe that are part of my beliefs... but I separate my unprovable beliefs from science.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• We aren't religious, so I'm going to teach mine evolution! I'm super excited about it :)
    Anonymous

• Each state has its own guidelines as to what should be taught and tested on.

Right now my oldest is 5 so we are doing kindergarten things and evolution/creation isnt one of them. If he asks a question we answer it but its not one nor the other as religion isnt a reason we homeschool nor does it play a big role in how we teach.

If we are still homeschooling when he's learning those things then both will be chatted about.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I will teach my children both, partly because i believe in both. But mostly because i want my children to have a well rounded education and to think for themselves. In order for them to make up their own minds and truly think for themselves i have to teach them both sides to the story. They will learn about many different kinds of creation stories (not just biblical) AND the will learn about evolution and why so many people believe in that. And they will also know my own personal beliefs. As well as the beliefs of other relatives who are close to them.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Evolution in science because it's correct.

Creationism in Religious Myth / Comparative Religious Studies.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 3:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2010