breastfeeding/supply

I am nursing my 7 mo old. I wana nurse for a few more months. Shes on solids 3x a day also. I went away for 2 days, 1 night and brought my pump along. I did this in the past but now its harder for me to pump as much. I did pump every couple hours getting one to a few ouncea each time. I took an 8 hour bus ride and half way thru hand expressed in the bathroom. Im stillon the bus now but very scared my milk is drying up b/c i feel this one area thats harder and squishy. Will i be able to build my supply back up wen i get home.. I know she wil continue nursing ive went away before. Can milk dry up that quick? Ive never had a prob with supply i had an oversupply or just the right amt. Anybody go away for a day or two and experience this?

annie27713

Asked by annie27713 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • if she is not nursing as much as she used to, then your body isn't producing as much as it was because the demand has decreased
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Your supply is really well established by now. A couple of days isn't going to dry you up. I've gone away like that and you don't feel engorged like you normally would around the baby, but that doesn't mean you're drying up. Don't worry about it. As soon as you are back together you'll be right back on track.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 4:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Milk doesn't 'dry up'. Breasts aren't milk storage containers that get empty. The milk glands are modified sweat glands. Hormones regulate milk supply, they tell the glands to make the milk. When you pump or nurse a message is sent to your brain and the brain sends a message to the glands and hormones tell the glands to make the milk.

Even women that adopt can breastfeed. They nurse or pump and the brain gets the message and the whole process goes on ahd the glands make milk. As long as your baby will nurse when you return you should be able to build back up an adequate supply or more.

Every time your leave your baby you risk your baby weaning. The baby weaning is more of a risk than you not being able to make milk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• try more milk plus when you get back and can get the baby on the breast! It is awsome stuff
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 5:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• At 7 months your supply should be well established so I wouldnt worry about it. You're not going to get nearly as much out with a pump as you would by your little one nursing because pumps just arent as effective as babies. A couple of days isnt enough to really effect your supply. Dont worry about it :)
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• You're going to be fine, Annie. Nothing you write indicates a real supply problem. Just nurse like crazy when you get home. Gailll gave you great info on the biology of breastfeeding.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2010