anyone know a normal weight for a six month old baby.

my baby six months old refuses to eat doctor said she is underweight. anyone with the same problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think there's such a thing, ther's just a weight that the doctors dont want them to be under. My son when he was 6 months weighed 20 lbs and thats in 90% he's as big as a 12 month old but he's healthy, he was EBF till 7 months. So I wouldnt worry about the weight unless the baby was very under weight.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• did the doctor recommand anything to help her gain weight, if he didnt go see another one and get advice or just keep trying to feed her/him
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• There is no one right answer. There are several ways to estimate. If your baby is breastfed you can expect your baby to gain at least a pound a month. So a 7 pound baby at birth would weigh at least 13 pounds. Or, you can expect your baby to double birth weight, so that would mean at least 14 pounds.

The way doctors usually tell is to follow the baby's growth on the growth chart. On the breastfed baby chart it looks like a 7 pound baby should weigh about 14.5 pounds if I am looking at it right. I have bad eyes and may not have followed the lines right. Here is the link to check.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart3.html
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• So, it would be average for your baby to weigh around 14 pounds. There are things that could make your baby be smaller. You or your husband could be small. Your baby could have had a recent illness like an ear infection. Not all babies follow the line and that doesn't mean there is something wrong with them.

It's normal for babies to not want to eat at 6 months. Some breastfed babies don't start solids until 9 months or later. However, you have not given much info and there may be a reason your doctor is concerned that you haven't included.

My youngest son refused to eat solids and it turned out he had tactile sensitivies. He had occupational therapy to help him learn to eat. He only weighed 17 pounds at 12 mo. He was hospitalized for failure to thrive when he was around 14 mo. He is 21 and is 6'2" so he did grow but he still doesn't like some textures. He doesn't drink soda.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My first child refused to eat and she was VERY malnourished due to her reflux issues and other medical problems. She also has failure to thrive and at 4 years old she still has it. She is still very petite, and she has already went through 4 surgeries to correct her reflux issue and inserting her feeding tubes. All I can say to you, is feed on demand whenever she wants, try and make it very calm if possible. If your doctor isn't concerned or doing testings to see why she isn't gaining properly I would seek for a second opinion.

My 2nd dd, is 6 months and weighs 15 pounds. I wish the best for you and your LO, if you need to talk to someone you can always pm me!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2010