Best time to switch to front facing car seat?

I've looked this up on the internet & gotten VERY mixed answers. I'm hoping to get a clearer answer here.

My son is 15mos old, 25lbs, & 32in long. We already leave the car seat in the car & just take him out since it's just way too hard carrying everything in. It doesn't seem safe to have his legs bent like that on the back seat.

So...when's the best time to switch my son to front facing car seat? His ped appt isn't for another couple weeks. Thanks girls <3

ours

Asked by ours at 4:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would recommand two years old, thats what a lot of the car seat safety laws are recommanding but you can do it after a year if you wanted.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• get him a convertable carseat those can be both rear and forward
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I turned my daughter around at 13 months but after reading all the safety benefits of leaving them rear facing longer I plan on rear facing the next one until 2.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It sounds like now would be a good time they say 1 year old or 20 lbs and since he is above both the seat won't safely hold him any longer, so it is time for a new seat.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I don't have money to buy another car seat. The front facing one is going to be a hand me down from my aunt. I might wait till his appointment to officially switch him over, but I'll definitely have my aunt send the front facing car seat so I can have it for whenever we switch.
    ours

Answer by ours at 5:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• The law in most states is that they need to be at least 1 year old and 20 lbs to forward face. That said, it's best to leave them rear facing until they meet the limits of their carseat. My kids started out in a Graco Snugride (the kind that snaps into a base) and those are only supposed to be used until 22 lbs or 29" tall. Then I moved them to a Convertable Carseat that they can rearface in til 30 lbs before I HAVE to turn it around. You need to check your carseat manual or look it up online to see what the limits are.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Well I just turned my 23mos old. She is just 24pounds but her legs are so long! I kinda wanted to keep her longer rear facing. At age 1 we got her a care seat that can rear and forward face and is up to 60pounds so this should be all she needs till booster seat time. Hand me down seat are not a good idea. FAter 3 years they need to be thrown out. We are on a budget too but find a way to work it in! I think its a good idea to rear face till 2. My LO will be two in 2 weeks!!
    Anonymous

• You should have them rear facing as long as possible. Most car seats go to 35 pounds.

Your sons legs being bent are a NON ISSUE. There are NO reports of a child having broken legs from having them on the back of the seat but there are reports of children being internally decapatated from being forward facing.

My daughter turned around just before her 3 birthday when she reached 35 pounds.

My pediatrician says that NO CHILD should be turned around before 35 pounds no matter what the law says.
    Anonymous

• my dd rearface till she was 33 mts. she was about 32lbs and 36 inches long.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Call the local car seat safety tech in your area (many are located inside the local fire department) and ask if there is a program for a free or discounted car seat.

Many times you just have to go to a carseat safety class (which will tell you to keep your child rear facing as long as possible) in order to recieve the free seat.
    Anonymous