7 year old complaining of neck pain! Help!

My son woke up this morning saying his neck hurts. Yesterday he had a headache and ended falling asleep on the couch at 5. I'm a little worried. He doesn't have a fever but he's sleeping again. Could he just have slept wrong or could it be more serious.

Deb79

Asked by Deb79 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would give him a neck rub, hot bath, heating pad, and if it doesn't improve by tomorrow take him in neck pain can be a bad sign, but it is likely he slept wrong.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Please be careful. Signs of spinal meningitis are fever, headache, neck stiffness. I had spinal meningitis at the age of 4. Thankfully my parents took me to the doctor's right away. It is flu like symptoms and easily can be overlooked. I would worry if he had any type of fever. Maybe just get him checked by a doctor better to be safe.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I would call the doctor in the morning, a stiff neck is a sign of meningitis and that is nothing to fool around with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• DH took him to the DR this morning and he has strep throat. My poor baby, but at least he's got antibotitcs (SP) and should be back in school by wed.
    Deb79

Answer by Deb79 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry if this may sound rude, but if your worried then call the doctor and set up a appointment to be safe!
    Anonymous

• I had to see a chiropractor for a long time. While there I talked ot them many times about my daughter being seen. Did you know that adjustments are actually healthy for children? It also prevents muscle tightening & spasms which often cause headaches and body aches. You might consider it!
    MRST04

Answer by MRST04 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2010