To circumsize or not to circumsize???

Okay, for real guys...not fighting! I'm really concerned about what to do for my upcoming son. I never gave circumcision much thought because, for some reason, I always assumed I'd have all daughters. My gut is telling me NOT to do it because I've read about the procedure and how painful it is. I also read that it's not medicially necessary and that infections won't be a problem if I just leave it alone and let the smegma (is that what it's called?) keep his penis clean. However, at the mere mention of leaving his penis in tact, I've ugh lots of disgusted looks and one friend said I was running the risk of serious UTI's which may cause him to need to be circumsized later on anyway... where can I find FACTUAL info? Will other boys make those same disgusted faces in the locker room, or are more boys in tact nowadays? I want to make the best choice for his long term health and development...

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That was supposed to be "gotten" lots of disgusted looks. Not sure where the "ugh" came from! LOL
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I have had my boys circumsized.
    I have heard uncircunsized boys can also give girls infections.
    It isnt very attractive either and sometimes it can have an oder eeewwww
    Anonymous

• It looks like you are on your way to making a good decision, no reason to alter what nature has made. My son is 22 and not circumsized never has had a problem just a good dose of good hygene lessons will last a lifetime. Good choice mom!

Answer by older at 6:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• it's what you want to do, i like the circ personally but if you choose not to he can do it later. however if you're not doing it bc of pain you should keep in mind that while they do feel it (some of them anyhow) they don't remember it. do you remember every bump and scrape you got as a child or infant? probably not.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• lol at anon. I was with an uncirm man years ago and he was actually much much cleaner than the circ guy i had years later so its bs. And for this reason I left my sons penis alone and hes fine. I guess your vagina is dirty because that is some barbaric peoples reasoning of circumcising women as well.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Very true...I just hate the thought of inflicted pain on him if it's not necessary. I guess I think of it like my daughter and peirced ears. Some people have their infant's ears peirced...which is fine. But I just decided that I would wait until she was old enough to decide she wanted to endure the pain and have (mostly) permanent holes in her body...so I guess I figure if at some point my son notices a difference in his penis or wants it done...he can decide for himself. But at the same time... I'm not sure! It's really stressing me out!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• unwashed privates are gross period I do not care what kind of penis you have. And yea op this thought went back and forth in my head as soon as i found out I was having a boy. Whatever your decision is fine. People stress about it too much. If my son wants it removed later on I won't stop him.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Just keep researching. My sons aren't and I'm glad for it. Just thinking about that cruel procedure makes me wonder how any mother would willing have it done. I have nothing against them though. My oldest is 6 and never had a problem. My dh is 30 and never had a problem. In regards to looks they all look the same erect.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Well my DH is not, and I am not going to do so with my son not only because his dad isn't but because there is a lot of research available that negates those that say they will get infections, or give infections etc. Also about 50% of the population doesn't do it now days so there will be many boys who aren't and some that are so it won't be a weird thing in the locker room, and my DH says he never had locker room issues. Do some research and make sure that the sources are not religion based, but scientific and you will find out what the risks are of doing it and of not doing it. One thing that you need to understand is that you can't give it back to him if he didn't want it done, but if he does want it done he can have it done when older.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Here's a new question! If he had it done later would they give him anesthesia??? I read they don't give it to babies because of slight risks....but if they do for older men having it done...that sounds better because the pain may be more bearable? I asked DH and he said "No, I don't want to have it done..." so I guess it would be wrong for me to flat out ignore his wishes since I have no REAL reason to dispute him...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2010