Did you give your teens conditions when you giver her or him a car?

I have my previous car for my child, but i haven't discussed the conditions yet. What were your conditions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't have a teen yet, but I think any good parent SHOULD have conditions on a kid driving a car!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My son and I signed a contract. I don't remember where I found it, online at AAA or maybe MADD. It talked about the places he could go, how many people in the car, no cell phone use, keeping the car in good condition, and calling me for a ride if he gets into any trouble. There were probably 20 things on it, try to google teen driving contract or something like that.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My older 2 sons didn't want to drive while in high school so they didn't have any conditions. My younger 2 sons are 18 and 19yo high school seniors and they had to pay us back 1/2 for what we paid for their cars (we paid $1250 for each of their cars so they each paid us $625 @ $10 or more a week untiil it was paid off) plus in order to get their licenses they had to each have a job, had to have a 3.0 or higher GPA & had to pay their own car insurance & put their own gas in their cars. To continue driving they have to keep their jobs, keep their GPA @ a 3.0 or higher and of course they have to follow all house rules (do their chores, no back talking, etc..) & they have to be home on time & get no tickets & have no accidents. They have been working since June 2008, have had their licenses since Aug. 2008 and we bought them their cars in Dec. 2008.
    Anonymous

• I don't have a teenager yet, but there should most definitely be conditions. When my parents gave me my first car there were conditions. I had to get at least a 3.0 GPA. I had to keep the car maintained - oil changes, inspections, car washes, etc. I also had to pay for my own gas. If I got a ticket, I had to pay it and any difference in insurance. There were more I think, but I can't remember them. Anyway, good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I bought all three of mine a car when they turned 16, and got their license. Conditions were I was to know their whereabout at all times, keep up their grades, and made sure they were well maintained. Taught them how to change a tire also. If any of the conditions were not met they had their car taken away as punishment.

Answer by older at 9:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2010