Rice Milk or Soy Milk?

Which one is better for an 18th month old boy, Rice Milk or Soy Milk? And easiest on the stomache?

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• soy milk, in my own experiences seems to cause gas......I'm not sure about rice milk, but I'd try it!
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Rice milk. I suffer from ulcerative colitis, and I find this 100% better than soy. It's also better to stay away from any dairy when a child has a stomach ache. Try sticking to the"BRAT" diet until he's better....Rice, bananas, toast, applesauce. Milk normally will aggravate the tummy more. Try apple juice, water, and a little bit a gatorade is ok too.

(Mother of 2...care giver to 6 kids)
    Anonymous

• My son drinks both. I think the soy give him gas. I drink the soy-just because I think it tastes better than rice milk.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Soy milk can cause gassiness because it is made from a legume (think beans), so if think this might be a problem for your child, I would avoid the soy milk. Rice milk is easier to digest because it is just empty carbs unless it is a fortified brand. Also, neither the soy milk nor the rice milk will provide your child with calcium unless they are fortified, so if you are using either of these milks on a long term basis exclusively, then you will need to supplement your child's calcium.
    Anonymous

• Out of the two, I'd suggest rice milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I would try the soy milk first, only because it has a little more fat. If it's not well tolerated, go with rice milk. We tried soy, but ended up having to switch to rice milk.
    Anonymous

• Water...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• look into hemp milk it has the fat content lacking in rice and soy that little kids need
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2010