How do I get my two year old to listen?

My two year old has spent a lot of time with my dad while I was at work and now that I am not working I am seeing how bad she listens. She will listen when it comes to certain things but others its like I am speaking in a different language. I know she understands what I am telling her cuz she will start and then stop start and then stop. I have tried time outs and I just don't know what else to do to make her listen better. Any ideas?

JRHunt18

Asked by JRHunt18 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you find out let me know.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Makes me feel a little better at least I am not the only one!
    JRHunt18

Answer by JRHunt18 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Believe me, you have lots of company. I find that rewording requests can help particularly if you can make it sound like a challenge. "Show me how fast you can pick up your toys" or "can you put all the red toys away" sometimes works better than a demand to put the toys away. If you're trying to get your child to stop doing something, tell her once and redirect he attention at the same time. "Leave the lamp alone and come show me how big a tower you can build with your blocks". It isn't perfect but sometimes this helps maintain my sanity!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I agree when someone finds the answer I would love to know. I;ve tried everything even the suggestions momofrtan07 said but they dont work there's a reason why it's called terrible twos
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010