• In the Spotlight:

To pierce or not to pierce?

How many of you mommies have pierced your LO's ears? What age?

I never did with either of my girls. I really want to, but I get nervous thinking about it. My LO is 6 months so were getting the the age of ear pulling... It's now or never; well at least until she is asking me for them done!

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have an 8 month old and I pierced her ears the day before she turned 6 months. It was amazing she cried for only 1 minute literally then looked at my friend and laughed. It didn't bother her 1 bit after she never pulled at them or cried anymore after that. We did it in hopes of her keeping her hearing aids in but no luck she still pulls her hearing aids out lol.. GL
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• wait until she's old enough to ask. that is just barbaric.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I had my ears pierced as a baby, I do not remember it and I do not believe that my mother was "barbaric" for having them pierced before I was old enough to remember it and really make sense of the pain. It is your choice and I think it is better to do it young then when they remember the pain.

T_Fisher

Answer by T_Fisher at 7:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i was 6 yrs old i chose to do it myself idk i wouldnt do that what if they pulled them out or swallowed them on accident...
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 7:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My 4 yr old asked us to peirce her ears for her birthday. Now our 2 yr old keeps asking I think 4 or 5 is a good age. I think it all depens on the parents and the child. I don't think their should be a set age.
    Anonymous

• I waited until my girls were old enough to ask for it themselves, understand the process, and then be reasonably expected to care for the piercings while they healed. They got it done together a year and a half ago (they're 7 and 5 1/2 now) and it was a nice mother/daughter/sister moment for us, and I feel really good knowing that it was their choice.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My DD got hers when she was about 14 months old and have had no issues we just got tiny balls so they don't snag, she didn't cry or anything she was just pissed she couldn't grab the guns.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• You know I REALLY wanted to pierce DD's ears at 4 months.. DH talked me back to 6 months, but I decided to wait until she's 5. I want to pierce them well in advance before her first year of school, but at an age where she understands pulling on the piercing and messing with them can cause infections... teeny tiny babies dont have that understanding so it may be hard to keep them for messing with it all the time.

But ultimately it is a personal decsion for every mommy. Regardless of what someone else says its between you and your LO. Do what's best for you mommy.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 8:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• my daughter will NOT get her pierced until she is old enough to take care of them herself & ask
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I'm not sure what I will do when I have a daughter. I might wait until she is 5yrs or so where she can remember and help take care of her ears. We'll see. I'm not against doing it when they are babies but I'm undecided.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2010