What do you think of mothers who spend every waking moment with their kids?

I find them needy and co-dependent.
Especially the ones who chide those of us who utilize such things as daycare to go to work, or Sesame Street to get things done.
Or who think you're a "bad mom" or "lazy parent" for needing a break from your kid(s).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't care what other mothers do. My kids used to go to daycare. They now go to school, but when they aren't in school or in one of their activiities we're together. Doesn't make me codependent... means I see no reason not to hang out with them if I can...

I'm also a mom whose kids go to their fathers every other weekend. I don't like it, but I get breaks 2 weekends a month. I see no point in having more.
    packermomof2

Answer by packermomof2 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I think they are amazing people for being able to do it 100% of the time, our kids aren't going to be kids for long and in even less time they will be pre-teens and teens who want nothing to do with us, so why not spend as much time with them when they want us. Just because it isn't how you handle your kids doesn't mean that it is wrong or not better than your way.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• popcorn

Anonymous

• Nothing. It's their child and their life. Doesn't bother me at all. I'm too busy dealing with my little buggars to care.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It is true. B ut I know a girl personally who had a rough childhood. Very rough...parents were in and out of her life...grandmother raised her. I think she over does it because she is afraid of being a bad parent like her parents. I don't think she is trying to be needy, but she always felt unloved and abandoned as a child and doesn't want her daughter feeling like that. So, she literally spends every second with her kid. It depresses her because she has no life of her own outside of that, but she feels as though under no circumstances should she be anywhere else besides with her daughter. So, I don't think she is a bad parent or anything, I feel bad for her, because her childhood is causing this.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i think there is probably something wrong with them, most people need time away. i HATE the moms that will sleep with their children instead of with their husbands, why MARRY him if you don't want to be with him? weird
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Don't really know their sit. I personally don't get away much can't afford it. Wish I could though so I don't judge them w/o knowing what sit. they are in.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I am a SAHM, so I DO spend all day with my child (20 months old). There's no need for her to go to daycare. Except for naps and bedtime, I am with her all the time. While I get dishes done or do a bit of cleaning, she is allowed to watch Mickey Mouse. She will develop her sense of independence when SHE is ready. Until then I'm going to cherish the time we get to spend together. It's absolutely precious.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• What about mothers who would preferr to work but stay home with their chldren because they can't work due to a disability? I am in no way needy or co-dependent. Do you know how touch taking care of children and a house is? Do you know how much energy is drained in a day for a SAHM? How difficult it is to juggle a million things at once? I refer to SAHMs as super moms. We take care of the kids, clean, shop, cook, do laundry ect.

And by the way, we need breaks too.
    Anonymous

• I SPEND MAJORITY OF MY TIME WITH MY DD AND IM PROUD THAT I DO ,MOST OF MY OUT OF THE HOUSE ACTIVITIES DOES INVOLVE MY DAUGHTER(HER FRIENDS PARENTS ARE MY FRIENDS) ! I SEE TO MANY MOMS QUICK TO PUSH THEIR KIDS AWAY SO THEY CAN GO CLUBBING ETC .(ESP. WHERE I LIVE) BUT CERTAIN DAYS OF THE WEEK HER MAW-MAW COMES GET HER FOR SOME MAW-MAW TIME .....SHE'S NOT CLINGY !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2010