Is it wrong to get a break from being a parent once a week???

I work in a daycare so I am always around children, which I love, and I do spend time with my son, but is it wrong to get a break once a week for a few hours??? My son (5yrs)will go with his nana for a few hrs or sometimes sleepovers, I find it to be a big help with gaining sanity back. Is anyone else like this>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• goodness no honey! every mom should take time for themselves to reset and repower
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Absolutely not! Do not feel guilty if you need an sanity break. You need to take care of yourself also.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I think we all need our me time. It makes us go back to doing what we do with a clear head.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• its not wrong. In fact I am sure it is nice. I don't get breaks just cause I have no help but the thought would be heavenly and I think we all need it we just all don't get it....
    Anonymous

• leaving a child with someone isn't wrong...my friends a i do that...i am a mother of three boys. my friends an i all have at least 2 or more children...once a week we pick 2-3 couples to stay home an watch all of the kids total of 16 kids in one house from the ages of 3 - 16 that's the total of all of our kids together an the older ones most times go to a friends house or come along to help . there's only 7 kids under the age of 13 . when the other parents get a break we all go out to eat, or anything we want to that night...its so refreshing to have that whole day off from kids...to be able to go to the store, or out to eat without having to tell a little boy/girl to get back by the cart or to come back an eat their food...i think every parent should have a whole day of "NO KIDS ALLOWED"...lol or at least everyone should try it
    Anonymous

• Um yes!... Nope, just kidding.. but you may get responses like that. You are not wong nor are you alone. I think highly of you. To leave your son for just a few hours. I drop mine off and disappear.. my mom has to hunt me down like a bounty hunter lol.

and if I leave them with dh.. I REALLY disappear lol

Your doing great mommy and enjoy your free time! We all love our babies, but without breaks here and there things would start to unravel.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 8:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I sometimes need a break, when I start to get burnt out... I personally don't take me time once a week, but then again, maybe that would go a long way to preventing the burn out in the first place. No - if your son's needs are met, you're doing the right thing by making sure you're emotionally and physically able to be the best mom you can be the rest of the time.

The thing is, our society is kind of set up wrong. In tribal villages, there are always other women around, living communally, helping each other out. No one is ever alone, and someone to lend a hand is always right next to you. It takes some of the pressure off. We don't have that on a regular basis, so we have to carve out what respite we can to maintain balance.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I wish my mom or dad were close by so I could drop them off for the day!!! :(
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• grandma takes our three(2 if the 12yr. old visits a friend), every Friday evening and keeps them till Sat. afternoon!!!! She began doing this about 3 months ago....Yes, I know how lucky i am, and it does wonders for my marriage to have this time just the two of us!!
    We have begun to call this "NAKED FRIDAY" !!!!!!
    Kathryn29

Answer by Kathryn29 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• No, it is not wrong at all to take a break as a parent. A happy and relaxed parent is the best parent. Parents need a break from kids and kids need a break from parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2010