Dutch And Jewish???

So my sister posted on her myspace page that it bothers here with people talk about Jews. Cause she was. (same dad, different moms) so i text her and ask how..and this is what she said..."moms part dutch which is part jewish as well" now its been quite a long time since i have taken history but is that true? i dont remember that part. and go ahead and call me stupid for asking but is it? i dont want to read thru a bunch of stuff to maybe find the answer. i wouldnt know where to start...thanks for the help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not exactly sure what you are asking. Dutch is a nationality. Judiasm is a religion (a religion is not an ethnicity. One can be Dutch and Jewish, as Anne Frank was; one can be American and Jewish, as I am.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• dutch is dutch. Jews is a culture and a religion. There are Dutch Jews just like there are American Jews, German Jews ect.
    It seems your sister is a lil confused, maybe
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• To be of Dutch descent is to be descended from people from Holland. There are Jewish people who live in Holland, so you could be a Dutch Jew that way, but just because you are Dutch does not mean you are Jewish.
    Anonymous

• You can be Dutch and not Jewish, or Dutch and Jewish. I have a good friend who is a Dutch Jew; being Jewish is a minority in Holland, as it is in the US.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Jewish is an ethnicity as well as a religion. You can be of Jewish decent based on your heritage regardless of what actual religion you practice (or don't practice).
    Anonymous

• Dutch is not Jewish. I am Dutch, but I am not Jewish - unless you factor in that I am a believer, I am a child of Christ, who was a Jew. But I'm still 100% Dutch.
    Anonymous