Recently took my son to kindergarten registration, and every parent that was scheduled there as us, was unfriendly, and rude! Is this normal??

It was unbelievable, My husband could not go with us because he could not get out of work. None of the parents there were friendly to me or my son. I was the only one there alone, and also, the youngest mom(im 25) I'm into tattoos and piercings, so I am not sure if this was the reason. None of my tattoos were showing, just my lip piercing. My son was in nice clothing(not that, that should matter) There was a little girl who wanted to say hi to my son, and I heard the mother say dont go over there..wtf!!?? We are normal looking people so I dont get it. Are any moms out there like this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• honey welcome to the PTA world. it sucks
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Well I have never had this issue. I mean yeah some moms can be unfriendly and I really only want to talk to them so I can have play mates for my son. he is in 1st grade. He went to two schools in kinder cause we moved I never really new any moms at the first school but at the seond school all the moms were pretty friendly!
    Anonymous

• I think some moms are just snobby.
    Anonymous

• Yeah..Welcome to school going years. I've known some parents that will talk to me until they see dh(white).. Then they look at my kids and excuse themselves, and vice versa.. they see me and walk away. I dont get it. I checked my underarms...plenty of altoids lol... WTH is it.
    Hey just let those ppl be the mean jerks that they are. As long as there is no harm to your kiddie
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i could care less about them. I'm the same way, lots of tatts and piercings....and I have a very good job and well educated...and they don't see any of that....just judging me....but whatever their loss. Most ppl don't know I have any tattooes...so it's usually fine until they see us out in town on our off days, then the judgement starts....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Yes, unfortunately this is normal.
    popcornlover

Answer by popcornlover at 10:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I think might depend on several things. Location for one, some places just seem more friendly than others. I think that when it comes to Kindergarten registration time it's probably more a matter of parents being in a rush, having "better things to do" or things htey would rather be doing. and maybe a bit of anxiety about getting their little one's off to kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• I think it's the age factor. I was 27 last year and would take my SS to school for K and none of the other parents would say anything to me (except once at the end of the year to ask me for money for a teacher gift). I dress fairly....normal, (jeans, t-shirts or long-sleeved normal shirts - not too tight or anything - and no tattoos, piercings or anything) and still experienced this kind of behavior, so, thought it could be your choice of "accessories" the age thing probably plays a big part in it as well.

Come to think of it though, they could just be snobs. My MIL had to pick him up a couple days a week and I always pictured her chatting and laughing with the mothers - she's social, I'm not - but one day she came and complained that she had never met such a bunch of cold, unfriendly ladies before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• This is normal. People are unkind and severely lacking in manners. So glad we homeschool!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• people assume like nobody's business. Hate to say it, but just your lip piercing could be enough for ignorant people to assume that you are into bad things-
    it's not right and it's absurd, but it happens. iInce your husband couldn't be there and you were alone they probably assumed that you were a single mother.
    not that being single should matter either, but people make assumptions.
    heck, when it comes to my niece (bio husband's niece) there are people who wonder if she's my husband's daughter because he looks so much like her - forget that she looks just like his brother! (daddy) others feel she looks a lot like me and not her mommy-
    I've been asked if I made a egg donation!
    the kids will get to know each other in school, I say stay involved, hold your head high- most of the time what people say doesn't matter in the long run anyhow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2010