Really bad tooth pain....please help.

Ok, so about 3 weeks to a month ago, I had a few fillings, the fillings are still in there, but now its like i cant even touch my tooth with my lip (its the 2 teeth that had fillings) or i burst into tears it hurts so bad. I have no idea what could be wrong with them. But it hurts bad. I cant drink ANYTHING cold at all, I can barely eat (Its one of my front teeth and the one to the right of it from someone elses view.) and the only way i can eat is if im sitting there shoving the food way down my throat and im still crying the whole time. Any ideas what could be wrong?? I dont wanna go to the dentist if its just a really bad toothache, but if it is how do i get rid of it? My gums around them are not swollen or anything. so any help will due, I mean honestly this pain is a 10 in my mouth. its BAD. so please, any advice.

LA09TKP

Asked by LA09TKP at 8:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Health

• OMG!!! stop being stuborn! Go to the dentist. It sounds like you have an infection or it could even be a root canal. The pain will not go away unless you know someone that can give you a vicodine or codine.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• if you cant afford a dentist, like myself, you can go to a shelter MD they often cover extractions only. or you can go to the local college, they often provide really affordable dental care because it is students performing the work.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• i have a dentist, I just dont like my dentist. for valid reasons too, he couldve killed me. when he did these fillings one of the bits to the little hand drill fell off and down into the back of my throat, if the nurse lady didnt chase it with the sucker thing and catch it i wouldve inhaled it and it woulda punctured a lung, (mind you this happened twice in a row) could he have done something wrong to my tooth to make this pain? or what?? cause they checked for root canals and stuff before they started doing the fillings.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 9:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• What do you mean they checked for root canals? I've been a dental hygienist for 22 years and have never heard of checking for root canals before doing a filling. They should examine the xrays to see how close the decay is to the nerve. If it is too close they should advise that a root canal may be needed. It sounds as if the decay was near the nerve and the tooth has now abscessed. You may need a root canal.
    You can go to the ER. They will prescribe antibiotics. Motrin is the drug of choice for dental pain. Over the counter Motrin can be doubled up for prescription strength. Motrin is oneof the few drugs you can do this with.
    Why don't you like your dentist? I'm in Florida too. I might be able to ask around and find another dentist to refer you to.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• well ive had all kinds of appointments and they did a cleaning, and xrays, then the fillings, said i didnt need a root canal at all, (guess that couldve changed.) Ill try the motrin, see how that goes. since your a hygenist, i grind my teeth, have since i was little, do you think the pain could be caused by that? (im getting a mouth guard for that soon, i need one) and i know i grind them pretty bad, i usually wake up with my jaw hurting and it all tense from it. and im pretty sure ive been pushing it on those 2 teeth, (not positive though so dont quote me lol) and the reason i dont like my dentist is listed above in my prior reply. thanks for the help!
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 10:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• You can use a sports mouth guard until you have a custom one made. Grinding your teeth is probably a contributing factor. Sometimes when the decay is cleaned out of a tooth it is close to the nerve. It causes the tooth to go into shock and it begins to die - thus needing a root canal.
    Call the dentist first thing in the morning for an emergency appointment.
    Usually when the drill bit breaks it's because it has become brittle from being sterilized so many times. Time to replace them with new ones.
    I hope you feel better soon.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2010