Do u brake a fever in a toddler?

My daughter is 15mths old. She woke up at 3am with a temp of 101 so i gave her motrin and put her back to bed. Sense then, its been bouncing from 102 to 103ish. I give her the motrin and it stays aat 102 but the last hour before she can have anymore she is misrable at 103. Should i be trying to brake the fever and have her sweat it out? Iv also given her a bath which helped but i cant keep her in the tub all day... .???

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 9:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• popsicles, make sure she is not overly bundled, you can rotate motrin and tylenol.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Per our doctor.. you should treat a fever after it hits 102. Cool Baths (at least 30 min) - NOT COLD.. .in the fever stays up.. Tylenol AND Motrin can be given. Motrin usually drops a fever faster than tylenol.. but Tylenol helps keep it down (at least it does with my kids)
    Also.. make sure.. that she has LOTS to drink. Gatorade.. or the Pedialite. No milk.. No juice.
    Don't try to sweat it out - this can cause the fever to spike to a dangerous level.
    Keep her comfy .. and cool.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• So the motrin is only bringing it to 102? I read something recently that a fever might be a cause for concern if it doesn't drop to 100 or 101 after being treated (motrin, bath, etc...) Personally, I treat fevers by default when they are that young because it's easier to control a fever than it is to bring down a high one. You can alternate tylenol and motrin every 3 hours if needed (7am motrin, 10am tylenol, 1pm motrin, 4pm tylenol, etc) That should keep her fever down without so much of the worry of it wearing off and it will keep the proper amount of time between doses of the same med. Hope she is better soon.
    K.D.
    Anonymous