Do you ever feel like you don't do enough with your child?

Sometimes I feel guilty for not reading a book with him every single day or sitting with him to teach him something . I am a stay at home mom and am tired at the end of the day from cleaning and cooking and sometimes I feel guilty for not always spending that quality time with my kids. Am I the only one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• everhone once ina while yeah.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It doesn't matter what you do, it always feels that way.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• all the time - by the time I get off work, and pick him up, then sit through rush hour traffic to get home it is 6:30 or later when we get home - dinner bath bed. I hate it. I'm a single mom, working is not a choice, but I hate every second of it.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• yes all the time.....I always feel like I could do better by them....but then I think that they're groing up better than I was......so I know they're healthy and happy......but yes I do feel that way
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It is nice to spend time with your child and feel it was a productive and fullfilling for both of you. But unlimited time isn't always the thing we have available. So quality gets thrown into the mix. For the amount of time you do spend, do you feel that your one on one interactions are your best quality? I don't like the idea of labeling women who work in the home as Stay at home moms. Because the time spent in the home isn't all spent with the children. Often many other responsibilities get shifted towards the adult staying at home. You work in the home and have responsibilities primarily related to work that needs to be done in the home. So that doesn't mean you are available to your child every single second of the day. When I have time off I do some minimal planning. Meaning I know that I will loosely supervise my son's play while I clean. He may be at the table playing cars while I am cleaning the kitchen.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I interact while I clean by making comments. Not the best Mommy time, not best quality time but it will have to do for me to accomplish my tasks. And then we have more planned time where I know I have it penciled in (my day planner in my head) that my child and I will go to the park and play in the sandbox. So I prepare the car with sandbox toys and off we go. Some of our time is very special and other times it is routine. I don't schedule times to do flash cards or teach counting. Teachable moments happen naturally in our house. While playing I count while singing the number of cars he has lined up. He's playing and learning. But we let it happen naturally so we are not putting pressure on him or us. You are more than a "SAHM," your title should be more like woman extraordinaire. Because you do it all. Give yourself a break and know you do the best you can.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• If you weren't Anonymous, I'd email you to chat more about it.

I feel that way a lot lately..but I know why.
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 10:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• all the time..i feel as though i am stretched thin..and about to get thinner with a new baby on the way...

homeschooling 2 older children really leaves little time for 2 younger...
    eatmyshorts

Answer by eatmyshorts at 11:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Honestly? NO. I am home full time with my kids besides a few hours hear and there to go to the store or work a few hours - in fact I got a very part time job to give myself a break from the kids, and them a break from me. I see no reason why we have to be attached at the hip all the time and enjoy having time to talk about things other than Scooby and Poop all day... My kids have everything they need and I have honestly never felt like I don't do enough, in fact I have felt as if sometimes I do to much for them - like they will never be independent...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• All the time, it just seems like the days are so short and with everything there is to do in a day, and no help from DH, at the end of the day I realize I never did read a book or do anything with the older ones. Also as a stay at home parent sometimes I take for granted that we are together 24/7, bath and bedtime isn't enjoyed the way it would be if I had been away all day.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2010