New moms -- annoyed by the family pet after the baby was born?

Are there other new moms out there who have suddenly taken a strong dislike to the family pet that they used to love, or at least like? The dog now drives me INSANE -- she has a barking problem, which wakes me up (and I'm pretty sleep-deprived) and sometimes my toddler; she leaves clumps of dog hair and dirt and twigs and leaves from the yard all around the house, which I then have to vacuum every day since my son spends all his time down on the floor, she hovers around the high chair when I'm feeding my son and will slobber all over his hands if I don't put her outside, she's big and hyperactive and smells bad -- I could go on. Before my son was born I didn't have really strong feelings either way about the dog. Now, I can't even stand looking at her. I find myself wishing she would escape from the backyard and never come back. Anyone else out there feel like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Honestly, I thought I was alone in this one. I'll be completely honest, I am a HUGE animal lover and me and my fiance found a puppy that I fell in love with while I was pregnant so we took him home. Couple of days later, I disliked him and I was in the end of my pregnancy so I had no energy to train him and my fiance was trying to fix up the house for the baby so he didn't have energy either. The baby came and I don't want the dog anywhere near her. I think I have germ-phobia and I feel that the dog is incredibly dirty when he really isn't. But yes, I dislike the dog and I wish he would disappear but my fiance loves him so much that I deal with it. He barks, tears up everything, can't even have plants in the yard because of him, the whole 9 yards. I really want him gone but I don't want my fiances heart broken lol.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Yep. I used to be a huge animal lover. I had my cat for 10 years before my daughter was born. After I had her, the cat got jealous and peed all over ther house. I was so tired of cleaning up his pee. I would love to get rid of him. He's 14 years old now and I have 3 kids and I'm still stuck with him...the peeing in the house has stopped thankfully. I'm allergic to cats and didn't mind for some reason before the kids. Now I just look at him and think about how he makes me sick, literally. My husband would never let me get rid of him though. I hated our dog the first two years after becoming a mom too (she tried to bite my daughter when she started crawling) but the dog has gotten used to the kids and is starting to grow on me again. Right now I just tollerate the pets.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• When my daughter was first born i felt the same way about our dog Minnie, and our cat Isis. The only difference was Minnie did not like my daughter and became aggressive around her. We had to get rid of her. My daughter is six months now and I'm starting to feel less "dislike" for Isis. when my daughter is around i get really fend up with Isis, but during naps or after she goes to bed Isis doesn't bother me. Her actions don't change i think its just my mind set that changes. Give your dog some time and see if your feelings change.

SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 10:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Sorry, but i never felt that way. I was glad they were around, frankly. I loved them before Kylie was born and that didn't change afterwards.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• No I never felt that way, actually I felt bad because until we had our children our pets were our children and I had less time for them with a new baby around. Maybe your pets is just trying to say "hi I am still here dont forget about me" I would imagine that your pet did all these things before baby came along, yes it seems like more work but dont hate your pet for it, it is not their fault.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I totally agree. When I got pregnant I was told to I couldn't stay with my grandparents anymore so I moved in with my SO who has two (REALLY ANNOYING) dogs! It took me forever to even get used to them barking outside our window all night, i swear the whole 4th and 5th month of pregnant i got no sleep at all, anyways, months pass i get used to them and have my baby. Thing is, they don't stop and Logan ISN'T used to it. I've have to many fantasies about just opening the fence door and yelling "GO! RUN FREE!!!" Because they are my in-laws dogs im stuck, so badly i want to put in a call the animal control and complain as an anon person..the yard is way too small for two dogs their size anyways and they aren't even allowed inside, I think they should go.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• pregnancy*
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Unfortunately, I was like this too. My parents had our family dog...she was almost 14 and whenever I would go to their house with my infant son, she drove me crazy! Now looking back, she wasn't even really doing anything wrong or annoying...she just was curious about the new baby in the house. So whenever I would change my son, she would keep walking around him and looking and him, and I was constantly yelling at her to get away because I was afraid she was going to step on him. And she would lick his hands too and I would yell. Here and there she would bark and wake him up from a nap or something too and I would get irritated. But let me tell you something...boy do I regret that now. We had to put her to sleep a few weeks ago because she started having seizures, and I just cannot forgive myself for being so mean to her. Before my son, I was so close with our dog and her last few months, she probably wondered what she cont...
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• did wrong that made me so mad at her. Ugh I can't even talk about. Sorry for the novel.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• YES!! Had my cats 2 of them 6 yrs before my son was born now I literally cant stand her, she annoys me to high heaven I even brought them to a shelter but I felt bad and went to go get them but now between the litter box the hair they throw uo those dam hairballs again the hair on my kids clothes when they r playing & I vacum everyday..........................I ALSO WISH I can keave the door open & THEY WOULD RUN AWAY , but I wouldnt do that i DONT KNOW what I should do I just ignore them or shoo them away,.
    \
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2010