Why would someone say they can't do something if they never even tried?

I have a friend who commented on a picture from my home birth saying she could never give birth naturally. What perplexes me is she doesn't have any children.
Why would anyone limit themselves like that when they haven't even tried it?

LorelNicolette

Asked by LorelNicolette at 9:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• cause theres no need to go through the pain if you don't have to
    Anonymous

• Maybe she knows her own pain tolerance. Don't pretend birth is not painful dearie... because it is!!!
    Anonymous

• Who said there has to be pain?

LorelNicolette

Answer by LorelNicolette at 9:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Mayb she knows her self well enough to know what she can and can not handle.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I also think its weird that she doesnt have children and she said that, maybe shes seen too many movies.
    Anonymous

• If you have never experienced it then how can you know?  Labor is different for every woman.

LorelNicolette

Answer by LorelNicolette at 9:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Maybe she just thinks she can't handle the pain BECAUSE she's never experienced it. I didn't know what to expect when I had my first child. I sure as heck didn't expect the excruciating back labor I had. I thought it would be easier than it was. We all have our own perceptions about things, including what we think we can handle in childbirth. Maybe someday, when she's pregnant and researching her birth options, she'll feel differently.

Have you ever stopped to think that she was saying that because she was impressed? My husband said to me, after I had our oldest dd, "I'll never, ever call you weak. What you've just been through is something I doubt I could handle." He was amazed that I was so strong. Maybe your friend feels the same way, and that is her way of stating it.
    Anonymous

• i know i can't fit into a size two, but i never tried it
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My first experience with birth was painful.  I went in unprepared, and it ended up being heavily medicated (induced, iv meds, and epidural).

I went into birth with my second very prepared.  I did not fight the pressure and tightening sensations. I had very little discomfort. Things didn't get difficult until I was close to pushing (9cm).  At that point in my previous birth they had turned off the epidural anyway so the pain I experienced was the same.

LorelNicolette

Answer by LorelNicolette at 9:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• So my point is, birth does not have to be unnecessarily painful. If a woman goes in prepared and is supported in her choices then there is a good chance that she will have a good experience. If not, then the drugs are always available.

Just because I went the natural route does not mean I think women should have to endure excruciating pain. I just happen to think that first time moms often let the experiences of others influence them too much.
    LorelNicolette