Christians: Can you please help me with this verse.

How do you interrpt this if you believe once saved always saved?

"Hebrews 6:4-6" It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do personally not believed that if you are saved than you can do what ever you want. If you are saved as a child and then grow up to be a rapist or even a liar then you are turning away from the Lord.

However, for the sake of this argument, this is the old testament. So you can of course argue the fact that as a Christian and not a Jew you are not subjected to the Old Testament because you were considered a Gentile and outside the Laws all together. During the time this passage was written there was no forgiveness for purposeful sinning or any sinning by a Gentile. That is why Christ needed to die on the cross on the first place.

T_Fisher

Answer by T_Fisher at 10:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I have added some really good sites for you here that will better answer your question.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Hebrews-6.html

http://christianlifeskills.com/Hebrews_6_4-6.pdf (I like this one the best)

http://www.soundofgrace.com/hebrews/h6v04-8.htm

sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 10:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Dang it! I wish my husband was awake, this is right up his alley! If you keep the question open until tomorrow I'll ask him to explain.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• T_Fisher, the verse is in the New Testament. (Hebrews)

I believe we can choose to leave God at anytime. God won't make us stay by His side. Salvation is a gift contingent on our obedience to God. We are always free to choose. Just as the wicked can choose to turn to Christ, the righteous can choose to turn away from Him. I believe that God does not change--the same God that inspired the NT also inspired the OT. He does not change what has gone out of His lips. (Numbers 23:19; Psalm 89:34) I believe God still stands by what He said in Ezekiel 33:13--

"When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it."

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:58 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Some sins are unforgivable. Jesus Christ said: “Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.” (Matthew 12:31) So, then, blasphemy against God’s holy spirit, or active force, will not be forgiven. The apostle Paul alluded to such sin when he wrote: “It is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened, . . . but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame.”—Hebrews 6:4-6.But only God knows if a person has committed the unforgivable sin. However, Paul shed light on this matter when he wrote: “If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment.” (Hebrews 10:26, 27)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It means what it says, that it is possible to choose to fall away..I don't believe this is talking about falling into sin and not being able to repent, but it's for people who have experienced the love of God but reject His Lordship time and time again and decide to go their own way. God will not always fight the will of a person, He sends His direction but if someone repeatedly pushes it away He will stop striving with them and give them over to the hardening of their heart. But if a person is honest before God and open hearted to Him they can never choose to reject His Lordship, they may fight it some internally but if they love Him they will always yield to Him alone and He will continue to be Lord.
    Anonymous