Shelter animals

Why is it that more people don't get their animals from shelters. There are so many animals who need loving homes! Spay and Neuter dogs so more animals don't end up like that. Save a life and adopt an animal from a shelter. If you don't adopt animals from shelters please explain why.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Pets

• I adopted my guy from a shelter! He is a one eyed Cockerspaniel! He's the best do I have ever owned. (I say this as he is sitting in my living room farting)!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• We always adopt our animals from the shelter my whole life. I love my Shephard/Chow mix she's such a sweet girl and she was 2 when we adopted her. I once adopted a wonderful German Shephard that was a pure breed from the shelter, but she was bit by a snake a year after I adopted her. :( That was 4 years ago and I still get sad when I think about her.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I've always gone through private rescues. I've never adopted from the county shelter. I just found my dogs on petfinder.com and they were at rescues. I think the county shelter doesn't advertise their dogs well. When we are ready to add a pet, we always search for mutts who need homes. Our youngest dog is a puppy mill accidental cross breed who was discovered when the mill was raided!!

If the county cared to advertise the heroic stories of some of these animals, I think more people would rush to bring them home.

Some people really believe the myths that adopted dogs are traumatized and can never be trusted. Some people are stupid.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I adopted both my cats from the shelter. I originally sought a breed rescue for collies. They are not easily found in shelters here and when they pop up they don't last long. I found a woman who breeds and rescues collies 4 hrs away from me. I adopted a collie but he didn't work out in my home. He attacked my cats. She didn't have another rescue ready to be rehomed so I took one of her pups instead. It was her last litter. I know she was planning to go to only rescue. My mother took one blue merle bitch and I took the other.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• because no matter what, shelter animals CAN be unpredictable. you dont know what they have been through. and for me with a young child. I am not going ot get an animal from a shelter.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I have bought my one dog and my other is a rescue.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• The only pet that I didn't get from a shelter was a stray that showed up at a friend's workplace. He couldn't take her, so he called me knowing that I had wanted a cat. She was an amazing girl and was with me for 11 yrs. All of the others have been from shelters. I'm about to head there now because our kitty died and I almost need to see kittens.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I adopt or find....well they find me. I adopted for the first time 10 years ago and will continue.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:00 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Well sometimes it is a trust thing with the shelters, we adopted a dog from a shelter for my son and he at the time was 2nd grade. We went into the shelter thinking we could trust in what they said (Big Mistake) we listened to them and told them we lived in an apartment and that I did have some health issues. Too make a long story short the helped us find a dog she was 8weeks old and they said she would be a small perfect apartment dog small low maintaince and yadda yadda and she was the total opposite she was hugh I could not control here let alone my son and we did put her through all kinds of training and classes and nothing 500.00 worth. Then came the last straw, we had to move due to the fact the apartments were getting bad, we did everything the vet told us so she dog did not get upset with the move and after being the our new place for about a month she turned on my hubby and tried to bite him and a week later same
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• with me! We decided we had to take her back to the shelter, it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. So what I am aying is don't always trust shelters somethimes they have so many dogs that they don't care what happens as long as they get adoped. We did get two more dogs from petfinder and man I love those lil fur balls so very much. From s breeder you know what you are getting/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2010