breastfeeding/formula

My DD is 5 months and has been EBF for 4. A month ago my milk started to dry up (confirmed by 2 lactation specialist) and now I am lucky if I can get 2 feedings in. I tried different things with nursing every hour over the last month but my milk won't go up higher than I have it so I have been giving formula during the day (After I tried nursing). I want to atleast keep BFing twice a day, first thing in the morning and before bed, but I'm not sure how much formula I should give at a time and how much threwout the day on top of my two feedings.

I do have mirena and I have a hunch that it might be the culprit. I saw my OB last week and she has a hunch I MIGHT be pregnant. I have an ultrasound wednesday to check and to check my mirenas placement so I will see. She will not take it out any sooner. CONT.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CONT. I know I will be told to feed more often or given suggestions on things to try, I feed every hour and I have tried fenugreek to reglan and teas. Nothing has worked and my lactation specialists urge me to keep feeding those 2 times until I get the mirena taken out and try to build it back up. I do not want to give up BFing.

If anybody can give me some insight on how much formula at a time to give a 5 month old and how much she should eat threw out the day, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Did the lactation consultant talk with you about the supplement feed tube system where the baby "nurses" while getting formula? It could help.

http://www.nursingangel.com.au/p/501533/medela-supplemental-nutrition-system-sns.html

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Seriously, what is the point of that contraption? If you can't breastfeed, why is that child pretending? It's not enough to just hold your baby in your arms? Do you really think that the baby pretending to nurse is doing anything?
    Anonymous

• I have mirena, maybe that's why i can't fully BF my son...I'm so getting this taken out.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Be careful with the fenugreek, herbs or teas, some things that help lactation are not safe during pregnancy. Other then that I can all suggest an LC knows better than CM members....but maybe post this in a BF group.
    Anonymous

• :21 here... *** all I can suggest is an LC knows.....bit of a dyslexic moment there, sorry.

Anonymous

• It really depends on your baby. If you want to see how much she eats at a time make a 6 oz bottle when she gets hungry and if she eats it all make more if not she how much she ate. Keep up the breastfeeding. I know how hard it can be to keep trying to breastfeed when you are drying up. I have gone through that twice. With my now 8 year old and with my 10 month old. Both times I dried up. :(

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I believe the formula amounts are 24-36 ounces daily. It should be on the can.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i would say start off with about 4 oz every feeding. if he/she is not satisfied then go to 3 and so on, so you'll eventually figure out just how much is needed. i would try the "contraption" as some one called it, expecially if you can take out the mirana and your supply starts coming back it will help. good luck!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 2:15 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• The lactation specialist told you to breastfeed only 2 times a day. Time to find a new lactation specialist. Sometimes people will call themselves that with no special training and not be certified or have special training at all.

If you want to breastfeed, you need to breastfeed. Every 2-3 hours. Breastfeed one breast and pump the other with a Pump-in-Style or rental pump. Next feeding switch breasts.

Stop bottles. All sucking needs should be met at the breast. Since your baby is over 4 mo LLL has long considered food better than formula. You can start with mashed banana or sweet potato. Solids will decrease the need for formula. Any formula that is needed can be cup fed by sippy, straw, or any method that works other than bottles.

It's your body and you can have your IUD taken out if you think it's the problem. Go to a different doc. Do a hpt to find out if you are pregnant.

www.kellymom.com is a great site.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2010