Too soon for a toddler bed?

I'm thinking about putting my 16 month old in a toddler bed. Is it too soon? She wakes up unhappy in her crib, whereas if I let her sleep on the twin bed she'll wake up from her nap and toddle in where I am, in a perfectly good mood.

iheartknh

Asked by iheartknh at 11:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i changed my son over about that time cause he was climbing out and falling out of his crib. but 90% of the time for the first 6 months he would fall asleep on the floor. sigh
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• My daughter started in her toddler bed at 11 months and has done wonderfully .. she's only 13 months now and she sleeps all night and gets up and plays in her room before she knocks on her door for me to let her out
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• my son was in his toddler bed at 16 months, right after he started walking well. dd just started walking pretty good, she's 19 months so we just transitioned her a couple days ago. i say as long as they're walking well they're ready. GL
    Anonymous

• That sounds like a good indicator that she is ready.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Plus since I am currently pregnant I am going to be trying to get my 10 month old into a toddler bed soon. So that he is out of the crib before this one is born in July.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• sounds like she is ready. my son went to toddler bed at 17 months.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Our dd was that age when we put her in a toddler bed. Our twins were 23 months old when they got put in twin beds. They were sleeping in pack n plays and after my dad died, my step mom bought detachable twin bunk beds.

I say try or use the twin bed with rails. You can buy bed rails at Walmart, Target and other places. Our dd was about 18 months when she got put in a twin bed with rails.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• That was the age that DS started climbing out, so I put him in a toddler bed. Just make sure it's one with rails or really low to the ground.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Thank you ladies for your responses! I think I'll be transitioning her very soon, then. :)
    iheartknh

Answer by iheartknh at 2:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My son was 17 months when we changed him over because he kept climbing out.... but for the same reasons as with your daughter he didn't like to be "caged" and was much happier when he could climb out at will and it actually made him STAY in bed just because he had the choice. The first couple of weeks were a little hard... he wanted to get up and out of bed in the middle of the night, but now he is doing great, he's 19 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2010