Alcohol at a 1st birthday party?

Hubby's family drinks A LOT all the time. My family knows when to stop and most aren't big drinkers as it is.

We are having my daughter's first birthday at our house and I want it to be alcohol free. My husband, on the other hand, thinks people should be allowed to drink.

I am willing to compromise and let people bring a little beer (only beer) but just drink a bottle or two, not get drunk. The problem is, I don't think I can trust some of hubby's family to control themselves. This is my daughter's first birthday and I don't want it to be ruined by a bunch of drunken people.

Also, most of my husband's family is driving an hour to get here and will have to drive home and I don't want to be responsible when they crash on the way home.

What would you do? Did/Will you have alcohol at your LO's first birthday?

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 11:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think they need to respect the rules you set at your childs FIRST birthday and if they won't come because they can't drink, that tells you something right there. Stand your ground. I think it's pety to not come to a childs birthday because you can't drink but I understand how you feel. My fiances family thinks they have to get drunk to enjoy anything.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Well I would have alcohol ( beer, wine ) available, but I don't have the problem of excessive drinkers. Most would never have more than two drinks around kids. I guess just don't have much available.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• It seems pretty trashy to have beer at a kids birthday party.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I'm not planning on supplying any, but people have already asked if they can bring it. Some of my husband's family has actually threatened not to come if they can't drink.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Than tell them not to come. This is about your son not them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• You could just have it early...like a pancake brunch thing. It would seem silly to have a beer at 11:00am...just a thought to keep the peace. ...Then again if they're seriously alcoholics they'll start making mimosas and bloodymarys.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• "Some of my husband's family has actually threatened not to come if they can't drink. "

Their loss. Tell them you'll miss them. STAND FIRM...you can indeed be held responsible if they get in a DUI crash after leaving your home, even if they bring their own booze.

If hubby won't agree, then DON'T do a party. Baby won't know or care.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We are actually having it early, it starts at noon. That is part of the reason I don't get their need to drink. I mean it will probably be over by 4-6pm, why do you need a beer that early?

The reason I don't want to tell them to just not come is because we only get to see his family on holidays because they live a good distance away.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Some of my husband's family has actually threatened not to come if they can't drink.

Your DH must see how this is unreasonable, who misses a child's party because they can't drink. It seems they are deflected their problem onto you...making you seem like the tight ass when their the ones who can't go a few hours without a drink. I'm sorry you have to deal with this it is a sticky problem when you don't want to offend family, but it seems like they're offending you.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• "We are actually having it early, it starts at noon. That is part of the reason I don't get their need to drink. I mean it will probably be over by 4-6pm, why do you need a beer that early?

The reason I don't want to tell them to just not come is because we only get to see his family on holidays because they live a good distance away. "

There are some family members that are best kept at a distance. **smile** If they cannot manage to go ONE AFTERNOON without drinking, *not* seeing them might be better for all involved. You wouldn't be the first family to decide that going without the extended family is the better part of valor.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2010