Alcohol at a 1st birthday party?

Hubby's family drinks A LOT all the time. My family knows when to stop and most aren't big drinkers as it is.

We are having my daughter's first birthday at our house and I want it to be alcohol free. My husband, on the other hand, thinks people should be allowed to drink.

I am willing to compromise and let people bring a little beer (only beer) but just drink a bottle or two, not get drunk. The problem is, I don't think I can trust some of hubby's family to control themselves. This is my daughter's first birthday and I don't want it to be ruined by a bunch of drunken people.

Also, most of my husband's family is driving an hour to get here and will have to drive home and I don't want to be responsible when they crash on the way home.

What would you do? Did/Will you have alcohol at your LO's first birthday?

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 11:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would. Adults have to be responsible. If they cannot do so, that is not your fault. Is it the dealership's fault if they crash in thier car on the way home from said party? Is it the highway department's fault?

Or should you allow people to be responsible for their own lives? It would be their fault, would it not?
    If you think they have had too much, don't let them drive. Let them rest at your house for a bit...Or, if it seems they are getting to that point, stop them. Period.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 3:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I would, but not when people get there. Like for my babys 1st bday, I want it to be all about him, then after the party people leave, the close friends/family can go buy beer and come back.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• thats disrespectful to you, your daughter, and your family. don't allow it...it's her day...not his
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• no alcohol, no if's ands or buts. If you the hubby can't agree, then I'd cancel the party. You don't want to be responsible if someone gets hurt- and it could be your child.

I'm not anti alcohol, but I was in the same situation as you with my wedding.
    Don't be surprised if they were to bring alcohol anyway!
    good luck!
    Anonymous

• Why do people need alcohol at a little kids birthday party? I think it's inappropriateat any kids birthday party. The day is about the child not the adults that are there. If you think his family won't control themselves then say no alcohol and if they don't want to listen tell them to leave. Your husband and your's and his family needs to respect what you feel if right for your child.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• we had alcohol at my sons first bday party. no one drank more then one though. but once my son was asleep family / friends came back and we just hung out, outside drinking & playing poker.
    Anonymous

• Its your child, your party. honestly i dont thnk booze belongs at a 1st birthday party myself. i dont think you would be in the wrong to say sorry, this is a children's birthday party no booze
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I would have allowed a cooler of beer at my dd's birthday because it was like a famly reunion AND no one ever gets sloppy drunk. In your case I would have to say no alcohol at all. But its going to be a decision you and your husband have to make and agree on....hopefully you guys can do that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• it's a baby's birthday party. i would absolutely not allow it.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• lol thats a good topic. My famliy mom and dad side at alcohol at every party doesnt matter what age. i guess it is up to you. i am having a bithday party for my 2 and 4 year old in couples, and better beleive there will be beer. in the end u have decide
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 12:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2010