Bread Machines?

What is a good bread machine? What does it cost? Is it really "that easy"?

Recently my DH said his mom had a bread machine & hed love some bread she use to make, so I love trying new stuff so we borrowed her machine --- NOT knowing anything about the machine, I didnt realize it needed a bread pan (Missing) so I poured my ingredience straight into the machine... NOT cool!! Thankfully she never uses it but I still wanna make some bread & feel I should buy a new one to replaced the one I messed up.
(She had a Welbilt- Dh said shes had it for over 10yrs)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have Sunbeam and Toastmaster bread machines. I love them! My family prefers homemade bread over store bread. I also make burger/hot dog/sub buns, rolls, bagels, soft pretzels, French & Italian breads, sweet bread, donuts, quick breads, and so many more! I often DON'T leave the dough in the machine to bake. The machine takes all the work of mixing & kneading out of my hands, literally. I have arthritis in my wrists and kneading bread dough absolutely leaves my wrists in pain and weak for several hours after that. I take the dough out, form it into loaves/buns/rolls/bagels/ pretzels/etc. and let it rise a final time and then bake. There's not many things better than smelling fresh baked bread & you have the satisfaction of knowing what is in your bread (avoid preservatives and other undesirables).

Check out the Bread Machine Moms group!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have an old bread machine that was my mom's but I much prefer to make bread without it, it turns out so much better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I love my bread machine, I've use it so much that I've been through 4 now in 18 years. My favorite brand is Westbend, for customer service, but I have a Cuisinart now that I do love. The trick to having it come out really good, at least in my opinion, is to make the dough in the bread machine on the dough cycle, then shape it in or on a pan, cover it and let it rise one more time on the counter or stove top, and bake it in the oven. The texture and crust are so much better this way.

I use my bread machine for the dough for our weekly homemade pizza as well.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have never liked bread machines, personally.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• there is a great bread machine moms group here you could join
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• pros -
    no mess
    I like that mine has a timer :) can get everything ready to have a nice fresh loaf in the morning.

cons -
    doesn't always mix it well, left over bits of flour on the bottom.
    stupid kneeding blade puts a big hole in the bottom of the loaf so the middle doesn't make a good sandwich
    takes up a lot of counter space

I like mine, but I could live without it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2010