The academy awards are ending and I have been checking out the fashions....my favorite part ;)

They are showing pictures of Gabby Sidibe, the girl that played in precious. The comments and the stories on her looks (the idiots not withstanding) have been positively GLOWING, yet all I can think is how hypocritical this all is. As many sit here PRAISING his girl (who is an ACTRESSS she was NOT born poor but in Beverley hills I saw an interview about it) she is obese. Not healthy at ALL. Michelle Obama is beginning this campaign on childhood obesity that is being praised all over yet no one criticizes THIS. Is this a double standard? SHOULD this girl be praised for her looks? I am not being ugly. She seems nice enough. But she is NOT healthy!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think she should be praised for being an actress and looking the way she does...obese and dark skinned. I don't think anyone is saying its healthy but they are saying its great to see something that Hollywood tends to discrimminate against. Fact is, being obese is unhealthy and I don't think Gabby would deny that at all. Being unhealthy shouldn't stop you from acting and being praised for your performance.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:20 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I am with you on the acting Mama. I didnt see the movie but from the clips she looked like she did a great job. And like I said she seems sweet. But many of those writing the stories on her are praising her LOOKS. Those are the people I am wondering about. Also I saw many in the comments section (again idiots not withstanding) question her healthiness and the vein of the articles, only to be called racist or "mean". I dont think it would be off to praise her work but question her health. They DO do this (and SHOULD) with the super skinny stars. Is there no happy medium?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• OMG.....!!!.....Sounds to me that someone is jealous that she can not have the fame and fortune of this "Obese" actress, so she resorts to online bashing on a website. Move on sister.....move on.....the girl is beautiful the way she is and she is one thing you are not- happy in her own skin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I think the happy medium is not questioning a celebrities health in the first place. Let them have their medical private just as we would want it. Just because an obviously obese or skinny person can look unhealthy, a perfect looking person can be unhealthy with many different ailments. Its pretty much just human ignorance to poke at people for their weight or lack of. Let them feel great and work on what they need/want to.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I agree with MamaChamp. I would feel more comfortable with my child looking up to a actress not for her weight or what she can do and get away with because she is famous- but rather what she stands for. This young lady is showing the world that she can fit in with all the other mucky mucks of Hollywood simply by being who she is. She doesn't need to change in order to fit into the "celebrity" category. She is doing as herself, and thats great. I think it shows other women and even young children that you can do it! If you want to be a star you can. It has nothing to do with weight in my eyes. If she decides later that she wants to lose the weight, then she is doing that for herself as well and not for others that want to change her. Besides I think its a parents responsibilty to raise thier children. They should teach thier children healthy habits, not the physical imagery of thier kids favorite star.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Clearly, she isn't the typical actress in appearance but although I wasn't a fan of her dress (I was of Kate Winslet), she must have been amazing in the movie and that is why the recognition. I have yet to see it but do look forward to it. I'm glad she's getting accolades, we have to stomp out this unattainable goal that everything polished and beautiful is a size 2.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• But many of those writing the stories on her are praising her LOOKS.
    ----------
    Ummm, What else does Hollywood concern itself with? Honestly? It is always about looks, rather than talent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Ok all you pleasant people. Then I guess we are in agreement? Michelle Obama needs to shut up and not worry about the health of anyone but HERSELF either. What a BUNCH of hypocrites. NO anon. I am not jealous of this girl. 1) her "career" is going to be incredibly limited if existent at all after this due to what..HER EXTREME WEIGHT. 2) She is NOT HEALTHY. Her chances of heart attack, diabetes ands MANY OTHER ailments is incredibly HIGH. Ya'll seem to be missing the POINT of the question so that you can take an opportunity to make yourselves sound high and mighty and say "look at me I am so non judgemental". Michele Obama is going on a campaign to tell me what SHE thinks my children need to be eating or not. America is considered an obese nation. This is an epidemic that IS costing us when it comes to HC..but by ALL means..lets give certain people a pass and deem this kind of weight ok.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• All of Hollywood is a double standard. Those same people that are praising her are only doing so because she is who she is right now. In a year or two if she hasn't done anything noteworthy in Hollywood, they will rip on her as hard as they do Kristie Alley (I think that's who I am thinking of). They are a bunch of coattail-riding-boot-lickers, and right now the young lady that played Precious has power. Talent should always be recognized and acknowledged, but we all know that Hollywood isn't all about seeing the talent. I am sure for some of these people commenting on her, some likely have a hole in their lip from biting it so hard - wanting to say the obvious. That's just how they are.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I say GO GABBY! Not everyone is a size 0-2. An important part of turning yourself from obese or unhealthy is obtaining self-esteem. I think that young women really need to see that someone who is not a 'stick' is important enough to be praised, because she is beautiful and so are they. I personally have had enough of this nasty image in the media that if you are not super tiny, you are not beautiful. All of God's children are beautiful and it is truly time that we start showing and telling them just that. For many, if we can get them to know how beautiful they are on the inside...it will go a very long way to helping young ladies become healthier on the outside as well. I am not at all bashing Michelle Obama and her campaign. I just think that there is a lot more to it than saying that all must be healthy from the very start, because not all are. We need to meet these young people where they are and work with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2010