Im having my baby in Oregon, but im a military wife and my husband is deployed now but will be home for the birth. We are stationed in Va and will have to drive 3 days right after she is born to go home together. Does that sound like it could be a risk to babies health?

Sophie4910

Asked by Sophie4910 at 12:51 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm a Navy wife, and I understand not seeing your dh for a long time and all of that. I would still strongly suggest that you talk to your Dr about it though, and that you make a backup plan for just in case, because, and this isn't meant in a bad way, but sometimes things do go wrong, and you might have to stay longer than you thought. Also, as hard as the separation is, if the Drs who understand your personal health stuff and who will have seen and examined your baby and will know that stuff, think you should stay behind, I know that you would rather stay behind and be separated for just a little longer than risk the health of your baby - or yourself. (after all, as hard as 8 months is - and I DO know how hard that is, but after 8 months, you could do a couple more weeks standing on your head, if you or your baby's health depended on it).

Also, you don't have to go back to VA to enroll in DEERS.

gl to you all :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Why would it be a risk? IMO there is no risk in the babies health at all. People are way too paranoid. Kids need to be exposed to the air. it has to happen and if you need to go to VA then you JUST HAVE TO GO... Your safer in a car then a plan. more germs in a airport and plane. My husband is in the army and stationed here in WA...
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 12:54 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• just make sure you wash your hands well after each bathroom or store stop.
    and always pull over to feed. that way baby can get out of the confines of the car seat to stretch and snuggle with mommy (or daddy too if you FF)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:04 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• will u be breastfeeding? a drive like this in the first couple weeks would be unwise. no I wouldn't want to do it, doesn't sound safe or pleasent that soon after birth. sitting like that will be uncomfortable for you still at this point
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No it will be safe. BUt probl not comforatable for you. Take prenty of rests and plan on stopping often to feed the baby and stretch.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• There is a big risk of riding in a car seat. The smaller a baby is the more risk there is of sitting. The position of riding in a car seat causes multiple problems. The baby's head can drop forward and the baby can stop breathing and die and you would never know. It's bad for the internal organs including the liver, the organ responsible for taking care of the bilirubin that causes jaundice. Even a drive of an hour can be a concern.

They sell car beds. They are made for premature babies and infants and approved like car seats. They cost around $80. If I was working at the hospital I wouldn't let you leave if you didn't have one because of the trip. The hospital where I had my premature baby made all parents of premature babies have one and my son was 36 weeks and didn't have to go to the NICU.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Honestly, I would talk to your Dr about it, both for your sake and for the baby's sake.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:20 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• and what if you end up with a c-section? Don't assume this is going to be something easy that you can plan out. Have a back up plan in case you need to stay put for awhile. Your husband may need to go back to VA without you. Where else can you stay? Who can you stay with? How can you get home without him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Risk? Not really. Just be sure the seat is properly installed and stop to feed the baby. You are going to be uncomfortable. Have you considered the train rather than driving?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have to drive because the babys crib and all of her stuff is here, therefore we cant fly. We have to be in VA within a certain amount of time due to his leave ending and we need to get sophie (my baby) enrolled in DEERS for her insurance and military benefits. She has to be enrolled within a certain time period. My husband could go back without me and I could come later but I havent seen him in over 8 months. Its not gonna be an easy seperation.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2010