So my Christian aunt gave my boys a book today.

It's about how God created dinosaurs and why He killed them. I did read it to them but i highly doubt it will be one of their favorites. My boys were very put off that the God of Abraham would kill a creation purely because of dislike. It was "not cool" as DS1 stated. Apparently my boys think God would have been more merciful and loving then that.

I had some other issues with the book, besides the way it presented dinosaurs. It very clearly made it sound like the God of Abraham did not know everything and that He did make mistakes. I am Pagan but this bothered me because i really think the book was meant to be read by Christians. Christians would have an answer for their children as to why God seems so cruel and well, not Godly. It was like the book made it obvious to my boys why I am not Christian (although i know they did not view it that way). I do not want my boys to have a bad view of the God of Abraham.
Suggestions?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:58 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• So God and the Earth somehow mutually conspired to kill off the dinosaurs because they 'weren't good?' Nothing like a little healthy paranoia to keep the kids in line... better be good kids, you remember what happened to the dinosaurs! LOL!

Seriously, I would just tell your kids that this is one theory of what happened to the dinosaurs and there are others (insert giant asteroid or other more 'mainstream' theories here.) If your kids are old enough, I might also point out that sometimes people use a blanket statement like 'God did it!' to explain things they don't have the answers to.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I'm a Christian and I would not have read that book to my kids. sounds disturbing. It's to pick and choose what u expose u're kids too..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• hmmm i don't know where she got that book... but the dinosaurs were not killed off by God because He didn't like them. The dinosaurs did exist after the flood and they became extinct. It makes me sad when things are taught incorrectly by Christians and especially if it affects a childs view of God.
    Anonymous

• that is true anon 1. i should have read the book first, but didn't because i trusted my aunts judgment. i guess that was bad judgment on my part.

anon 2. The book does not say that He killed them in the Great Flood. It talks about how He and Earth agreed that the dinosaurs were not good (as if He wouldn't have known?) and then He commanded her to destroy them. So she starved them and caused volcanoes to erupt and the dinosaurs could not escape the fast flowing lava etc etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Dinosaurs killed off by God that's a new one. No they just became extinct as other creatures have, for various reasons. From now on I would read any books she gives your children before you read the books to them. Well meaning adults will sometimes give things to children and not realise the impact it could have on many levels. Just tell your boys that the God of Abraham would not do this. That you can't believe everything you read in some books.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• the noahs ark story is always the one that gave me the heebie jeebies in terms of realizing God is not perfect. eek
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I would have read the book, but then explained to my kids what parts I didn't agree with. This would be a great way to start a conversation about what it is I believe.  I would have talked about extinction and the possible causes, like a meteor hitting the earth millions of years ago. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Like you, I'm Pagan, which I'm sure you knew. But I do read my kids Christian Myths along with others. I have the "My Book of Bible Stories" and we love it. It does a very good job at softening some of the blood and gore in the OT. And tends to paint a more loving picture of the God of Abraham... Another is the "The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" book if they are a little older, it's all about Jesus and his life. Both are free through any JW kingdom hall and follow the actual myths as contained in the bible, without altering them, which is why I chose those and not others. I feel it's important to expose my kids to many faiths through their myths, so it was important to me that I was exposing them accurately. However, neither discuss the dinosaurs. I think it would be a great stretch to try and attribute the death of the dinosaurs to God. I mean, it was nature - nature is the Gods, but it wasn't a direct kill, ya know?!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• That why I toss all religious books sent to my kid by family members.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Man you guys arent even looking at the Story of Noah in the correct light!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010