For those who ERF...

I am not bashing in any way - this is a truly real question that I want a truly real answer to...I had never heard of ERF until Cafemom. I have always heard you should turn them around at 1 or when their feet push on the backseat. If you ERF, aren't their feet too long for the carseat? And how do you make it comfortable for them? I just want to understand this more....

mama2000_1

Asked by mama2000_1 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is 21 months and I heard about ERF from our pediatrician who recommended we RF until at least 2. Maybe your carseat isn't that big, I have an Eddie Baurer 5 stage one...don't know the exact model name. Her legs are fine, she's not scrunched up. She has her legs slightly bent and sorta flopped open. Contact your local fire department and the can direct you to a car seat specialist( they probably have one) who can give you better info.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:20 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• they actually find it quite comfortable to sit cross-legged, put their legs over the sides, or just lay them up the back of the seat. alot of the positions my kids sit in look uncomfortable to me, but they are just fine. my daughter was quite upset when she had to forward face, she said her legs got 'fuzzy' (i think she meant they fell asleep) from just hanging there.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My son is 19 months with VERY long legs... he just crosses his, or he might put them up on the back of the seat or butterflys his knees out to the sides. And some seats work better than others... we have a few different seats, he's getting a bit cramped in his Cosco Scenera that we use as a spare seat... and he also has an Evenflo Triumph that's getting a little tight for his legs... but both of those seats he has nearly outgrown in height (as far as head room) so by the time his legs don't fit I expect he'll have reached the max. BUT he also has a Radian XTSL which is made for bigger kids, it rear faces to 45 lbs and with this seat he has plenty of leg room still... so if you have a seat that rear faces longer it's made for bigger kids in mind and they aren't cramped.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• One of my daughter's greatest joys in life is running her bare feet up and down the fabric of the back seat.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2010