What old wives tales (wise tales) do you remember, or have been told?

My mom informed me that when one of your children starts sucking their toes, it means another baby is on its way....I just looked at her like she's nuts, but she say's its an old wives tale, aka wise tale. I thought it was funny, and preceded to take my son's toes out of his mouth.

Momma_Neko

Asked by Momma_Neko at 1:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Never lift your hands above your head when prego - the umbilical cord will get wrapped around the baby's neck and strangle it!! lol
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• my grandmother told me tickling my son will cause him to stutter.. i looked at her like she was a freak lol every kid is tickled and no stuttering lol
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have a stupid one my MIL old time mexican believes everything she hears said that if you sallow a dog/cats hair you will never be able to have babies. The other one is if you breastfeed past a year your milk goes bad.
    AJSCASJMSmom

Answer by AJSCASJMSmom at 1:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• lol. My so's grandmother is married to a mexican man, and he wanted her to breastfeed up till her son was 5 years old. I was like "what"? My son is way ticklish. The umbilical one sounds way odd tool.lol
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 1:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my oldest son there was an eclipse, and my ex mother in law told me that I had to sleep with a red sweater on, or the baby would be born with birth defects. It was summer, we lived in the desert, and it was over 100 degrees out, but I slept in the sweater to make her happy.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Pregnant women shouldn't be on ladders (I can't remember the reason for this one, but I heard it allllll the time, because my job at the time required me to be on a ladder almost every day).
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• That if you have alot of heartburn while pregnant,the baby will have alot of hair
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2010