Should we wait to get the sofa til baby is older?

My boyfriend wants to get this sofa that costs well over $1000.00 but my son isnt even a year yet. I keep telling him to wait til he gets older but he insists on getting it. Good idea? =/

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 1:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree with the previous poster. It all depends on how old your current sofa is. I have a 2 1/2 year old son and 1 year old daughter. I have a khaki microfiber sectional, and it does have some milk stains on it. My daughter is kind of new to her sippy cup, so I'm having new accidents almost daily. You can always get it and be very careful.

Best Wishes!

Erika
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• If the old sofa is worn out, then I say go ahead and get a new one now. Our sofa was worn out and we thought we would just wait until the kids were older to get a new one because they would probably destroy it. After a couple of years of waiting, our sofa was just so gross and worn out that nobody sat on it anymore and we finally got a new one. It's funny though, because the kids are very careful about the new one and will even remind their dad that nobody is allowed to eat on it or have their shoes on it. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Yeah you want to keep in mind illnesses (vomiting etc.), potty training (they will pee on your couch), and all that so honestly I wouldn't want my new couch getting all gross. My kids are 6 and 3 and my hubby is saying let's wait a bit longer before we get a new sofa set. ours is 9 years old and just needing to be updated. It still looks GREAT!!! GOOD LUCK!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 8:15 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I'd wait! We had a brand new sofa when our daughter was born.....now it is a disgusting mess of a couch. We keep it covered so that people can't see exactly how gross it is. The kids are 7 and almost 5 now and we still aren't willing to get a new one because we still think they will ruin it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We bought a 3 piece sectional from Rooms to Go before the kids were born and so far it's a freaking trooper. It's 4 years old and still looks just as great as the day it was delivered. It's a dark brown Cindy Crawford microfiber and it's awesome. They send it to you completely Scotch guarded. Anything liquid beads up on the couch or rolls off, so you can get a towel and soak up the liquid. I never keep it covered. Every so often I will clean up the cushions by wiping them off with a damp rag, but that's it. I love my couch and highly recommend it to anyone with kids looking for a durable, stylish, half way child proof couch.

I'd go for it depending on what type you are looking at. I can only vouch for the awesomeness of my couch.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I know that in the last two years our sofa has gone through heck and back with my son. It does not look like the same sofa it was before we had kids. Unless you really need a new sofa, I wouldn't get one for a few years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I agree with poster #1- but maybe you should consider a sofa that costs less or is easy to clean. You could also make a cover for the sofa too- could help make it easier to deal with.

but if worrying about a new sofa causes problems in the house, I wouldn't get one yet- furniture isn't worth hurt feelings.
    I know a woman in her 30s who is still mad at her parents because they got rid of her dog because it would mess up the sofa that she didn't like anyway! ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2010