Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i want to take my son on vacation, but his father is against it..

first of all, my son's father and i have a joint parenting agreement. so that means i have to have his permission to take my son out of the state right? well, i called him today to let him know i want to take our son on vacation in may and he said he doesn't want him going out of state. so what do i do now??? does this mean i can't take him? am i going to have to take this to court if i don't talk him into it??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (1)
  • Look at the court order. Does it specifically state that you cannot go out of state without the consent of the other parent? If not, then make a fast phone call to your lawyer to make sure that you can't get in trouble if you just decide to go. Usually, unless it states specifically what the restrictions are, you should be able to do it.
    If it does specifically mention that you cannot go out of state then yes, you'd have to go to court and ask for approval before leaving. But the courts might not grant you what you want if the other parent can present good reasons as to why he is opposed.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 2:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.