Can someone explain the whole"processed foods" issue please?

I just don't get it. Every single solitary bite of food that you put into your mouth IS processed in some way or another, unless of course you are literally picking the fruits and vegetables with your very own hands!
Come on ladies, get real please!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 2:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You are right. Most food that people eat is processed. Even the organic stuff. unless it's whole foods.

but that's just it. most of what i buy is whole foods and I do the "processing" myself when i cook it. I have very little precooked or prepared things in my house.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• What does whole foods mean to you? Are you referring to the grocery store named Whole Foods, that would still be processed food actually. As I stated earlier UN-PROCESSED food would be un-touched by human hands. So I am to understand that you have a personal garden where you grow your own fruits and vegetables? And (if you eat it) slaughter your own animals for meat?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• pre-cooked, pre-made, heat and serve type stuff. i buy chicken and make the quesadilla myself as oppsed to buying a pre-made one. that's all. pre-cooked and heat and serve stuff tend to have additives and a high sodium content, which are a huge issue for my oldest, so we avoid them.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• There are different forms of processing. Some of the processing is a chemical reaction. Some people have reactions or sensitivities to that processing. For example, my son is able to eat apples. He can eat cooked apples such as apple sauce, fried apples, apple pie, etc - as long as it's home made from fresh apples.

BUT - my son can't handle "processed" apple products - store bought apple sauce, apple juice, etc, except in very small amounts. The chemicals used to preserve the foods combine with the naturally occurring pectin in the apples, and he's allergic to the chemical reaction that happens when they meet. Sort of like how vinegar and baking soda will "erupt" but separately, they're fine - he can't have them "mixed" or it causes him problems - as confirmed by Drs.

Btw, my sil was a fruit broker, so I do understand the "processing" of produce on the way to stores, she explained it to us.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• To say that all processing is the same, so none is more dangerous or less healthful than others is like saying that, since morphine and baby aspirin are both medicines, then they are both equally as addictive, and that one is not more dangerous than the other.

Or like saying that a $10 is worth the same as a $50, because, after all, they're both money...

There are different degrees to different things, and there are different levels and types of processing. I'm surprised that you don't see that. But then again, maybe you do and are either choosing to ignore it because you want to justify to yourself some dietary choice, or you're looking to provoke people.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I was not requesting nor was in need of a lesson on processed food. I was simply stating a fact about it. Some of you ladies talk about it as if it is something so wonderful and beneficial for your children and it makes me want to vomit frankly because.......and now for the third time I will say that anything you buy from any store on this earth is processed, unless of course you have a garden in your back yard and grow and cultivate your own vegetables and fruit and slaughter animals with your own bare hands which you also butcher and cook yourself! Otherwise, what you ingest IS PROCESSED!!!! This is the simple point I am attempting to get across.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Your fuirts and veggies that you buy fresh can also be processed also it all depends what the farmers feed there plants. I am very much into reading every little thing that is in every little thing I bring in to my home. Companys and restrants are putting more and more "cra" in the foods everyday. All this shit is gonna be what kills us one of these days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Still not getting it, HELLO??????????????? Anybody home?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• How about watching FOOD INC. That will help for starters.

Someone has to eat the processed food. Better you than me.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 3:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I mean really, if I were to get super technical the fact is that EVERY bite of food you eat is processed in some way or another. Even if you do pull the carrot out of the ground yourself, you are still going to peel and cut it up. HELLO?????? Peeling and cutting are 2 PROCESSES!!!!!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2010