I am almost 36 weeks and my baby is over 6 lbs. If i tried castor oil to u think it would be ok ?

taking castor oil

MamaB12

Asked by MamaB12 at 3:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the tech *thinks* your baby is over 6 pounds. it's not as clear as you think. they can be off by up to 2 1/2 pounds. my daughter was 1 pound 9 oz lighter than they had said. more than likely castor oil will just give you horrible cramps & diarrhea and not help your labor in any way. i wouldn't reccomend it. i know it's hard to wait, but your baby has a better chance of coming out healthy if you just wait. sorry to be a downer.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Its ok. Im just sooo miserable lol... I did it with my first child and he came out the next morning. Just not for sure this time around as i have had more problems with this pregnancy. Thanks for the response i can use all the opinions and answers i can get !
    MamaB12

Answer by MamaB12 at 3:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Please do not do anything. You do NOT NOT NOT want a premie. You will have a lifetime of issues just from not being able to wait.

Please try to stick it out.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 3:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Castor oil is such a risk!!!! Why would you do that? Also why at 36 weeks????
    If you are ahving issues that warrent medical help then you need to talk to your Dr, inducing just because you are uncomfortable is STUPID.
    If your body is NOT ready then it WONT work period, even medical induction wont. Talk to your Dr. don't do anything that can harm you or baby. YES castor oil can harm you is can cause dehydration serious cramping and the runs followed with NO LABOR. It can also cause the baby to BM in your uterus and if that happens and they breathe it on the first breathe they can in FACT have life time full of respitory issues
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No, let labor start on it own and plus ur only 36 weeks.
    and just think everything you eat/drink the baby gets
    you drink castor oil you start to get the poops and so will ur baby, you dont want your baby inhaling meconium
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Don't be in such a hurry for your child to come out. Because once they do, there is no going back in, lol. I gave birth when I was 38 weeks and my son's birth weight was 7lbs 13oz and 20 ins. I understand the discomfort, but your best bet is to wait it out.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 4:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• no i do not think it would be ok. your baby being ready has nothing to do with his or her weight + you don't know his or her weight until after he or she is born. most likely nothing would happen other than a lot of diarhea but why risk it? you could be pregnant for 6 more weeks so just hang in there!!!! :0) it's what's best for you AND your baby.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• At 36 weeks they told me my son was 7 pounds 5 ounces. He was born right at 39 weeks (went into labor naturally) and he weighed 7 pounds 11 ounces. Those measurements are not exact, they are just guesses.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No----36 weeks is too early and WTH? Why does everyone want to "be in control" and force the baby to be born? Let it do what it wants to do---don't try to force labor to start. I am just appalled by the amount of Moms who "can't wait". So so irresponsible. think of your baby!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No. Castor oil will not cause labor, it will just make you extrememly uncomfortable and can even cause potential problems with your pregnancy.

36 is too early to try and induce labor. Your baby's lungs are barely fully developed at 36 weeks. 36 weeks is the cut off where a baby is just now no longer considered preterm. Just relax and take care of yourself. You've done 8 months now, hang tight for just one more.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2010