SO's brother is moving in in May ...eek

So my SO brother is moving in with us in May so he can go to college.
well we're a young couple, young baby, but we've been on our own for a while, me since I was 16 and him since he was 18.

His brother is 18 and I fear what could possibly happen with someone who has no other responsibility besides school and a part-time job.

I do feel the need to have a contract signed because I dont want any grey areas, KWIM?

I am also putting a lock on the door for security reasons so he would always have to be in at a good time in order to be let in, but luckily im up a lot so he could still have late night fun i guess, but what are some good limits regarding

coming in late
guests..i was thinking none but ppl have friends :)
other?

advice would also help, i want this to be a smooth transition because if it doesnt work out he'll be out.

Thanks in advance

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well why the apprehension...is he known to cause trouble? I would just tell him if he is not paying rent, your house your rules. If he dosen't like the rules he is free to move out and pay his own way.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i think if you are this concerned already, then he shouldnt move in. honestly, it depends on the person. if hes responsible, then i wouldnt see an issue. but you have painted a not so nice picture, and i wouldnt let him move in if it were me.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:20 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• YIKES you seem to be treating him like a proven trouble maker rather than a young man going to college. I think if you treat him with distrust right from the get go. you are gonna reap what you sow
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• What do you know about this kid that you aren't sharing? Why can't he have a key of his own? or friends? It's all well and good to have a contract but seriously you sound really uptight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• If he is paying rent to you for staying their. He should be treated like a room mate and have a key and be able to come and go as he pleases. He should be able to have guest and over night guest as he pleases. But if he is not paying rent.. Treat him like a child/teen. Because he is staying their for free. Living off of you. He has to live by your rule or find some where else to stay.

Answer by louise2 at 7:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Forgot one thing,, YES have a contract.

Answer by louise2 at 7:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• If he is paying rent, then its not fair to give him a curfew imo...I would go with the contract and be up front at the beginning so he can have time to make other arrangements if he does not agree to your rules..He should be able to have people over occasionally or if he has a steady girlfriend you know she should be able to spend the night sometimes, no random hoes though, lol..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• "I am also putting a lock on the door for security reasons so he would always have to be in at a good time in order to be let in,"

What is he, twelve? You're not going to give him his own key? Either you're not telling us something or you're a control freak. A contract is a good idea, but damn, giving him a curfew is a little extreme IMO. Is he going to be staying with you the entire time he's in college or just a short time? My husband's senior year of college, there were times I didn't hardly see him from Mon-Thurs because he was at school working on projects and helping his one friend out. There were a few times that he came home just as I was getting up for work. And no, he wasn't cheating on me. He graduated with a 3.98 GPA in electrical engineering. He didn't have time for hanky panky. LOL. So you would lock the guy out if he's busy at school until all hours of the night? Have fun with that.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 8, 2010