need some advice

Hi my daughter is 10, she will be 11 next month, last night she asked me if ppl shave there privates. I was shocked, cause i did not notice any under arm hair yet. I asked if she had some and she said yes. She was quite embarrased to ask me. I never want her to be embarrased about asking me a question. I was just wondering if this is a normal age to be getting pubic hair? Thankyou for your help

catseyez

Asked by catseyez at 7:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• About what???

Answer by older at 7:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• sorry hit the wrong button
    catseyez

Answer by catseyez at 7:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• yup hon, its normal
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Very normal!

Answer by older at 7:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• yup, i started my period at 11, so ten is normal for hair.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 7:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Yepppers. It is normal
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 8:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It's normal to get hair at that age. There are many girls that age that also start their periods, their breasts start to get tender, etc.

Underarm hair is actually one of the last things usually. (My dd had breasts, pubic hair, was shaving her legs, etc, long before she had hair in her pits / was shaving there.

I would just let her know that it's normal to grow hair there, and that yes, some women do shave their, but it's a personal choice. Also, that, sort of like shaving your legs, once you start shaving there, not keeping it shaved can become uncomfortable / itchy, so... (Just my opinion, but unless she's shaving her legs, and is experienced at it, it's probably not a good idea for her to start trying to shave there, because honestly, think about the nicks and cuts you got when you started to learn to shave your legs... going through that, in that area, just doesn't sound like a good idea...)

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• yes its normal. and like other poster stated, you can tell her whether or not she shaves is a personal choice. BUT... from experience.... you could explain to her that she may want to shave her bikini line. its a tough age and girls can be harsh. i did ballet for 12 years. and when i was your daughters age, i didnt really have any hair... but a girl in my dance class did. and it popped out if the side of her leotard! she had tights on, but you could still see it. and the other girls made fun of her. i wouldnt want that to happen to your daughter. so you could mention to "maintain" the bikini area if she is in any sports like dance/gymnastics, ect. or to at least prepare her for swimsuit season this summer. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• You need to start having regular conversations with your daughter about her changing body and blossoming sexuality. She should not have been embarassed about this.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2010