Should family issues be legislated? Divorce, marriage and mandatory counseling..

OKLAHOMA CITY – Touching on a sensitive issue among conservatives nationwide, the Republican-controlled Oklahoma Legislature is embroiled in a dispute over whether lawmakers should remain focused on the state's budget problems and other fiscal priorities or delve into family issues, especially the state's chronically high divorce rate.

Republican members proposed three pieces of legislation imposing new regulations on marriage and divorce in Oklahoma. Two of the measures were defeated, but another — requiring counseling for those planning to wed, and therapy sessions for couples considering divorce — is awaiting action.

The issue has produced sharp clashes among conservative colleagues who normally find themselves in agreement. The debates have featured charges of hypocrisy and of betraying Republican principles against government intrusion into private lives.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "How far do I want government to come into my home and your home about private personal matters?" asked Rep. Leslie Osborn, a Republican from Tuttle, in a debate. She referred to state government as a "huge monster."

But supporters of the new divorce legislation insisted it was a valid area for government action. "The intervention is minimal," said Rep. Mark McCullough, a Republican from Sapulpa. "It might provide a little benefit up front to newly married couples," McCullough said. And for couples on the edge of divorce, "It could very well satisfy a compelling government interest. It's a terrible crisis."

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

• i am 100% for requiring couples therapy before marriage and before a divorce is grnated
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Yes and then they can come in your home when you're getting mentally and physically abused.... Where's it going to end? I guess a woman/man will have to be dead before the divorce is granted... Sorry I think this would be a horrible thing to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• good grief reguiring couples to have counceling does NOT equate to the idea of anything further. too many people get married without any forethought on making sure they have compatible goals and ideals. this is something to SAVE marriage
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No. I like it the way OK. currently has it... Counseling is used as an incentive. Not Mandatory. I do agree with outlawing common law marriage, though.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I am for couples therapy before divorce. I know that in my state they already have mandatory parenting classes that need to be completed before divorce, and I'm all for that too. I'd even be for some sort of legal consequence when there is proof that 1 spouse is cheating on the other. I honestly think it would help put an end to all of the dead beat POS fathers out there and would lower the divorce rate. Mandatory DNA testing after the birth of a child would be great as well, it would clear up all of those baby daddy issues that are out there right now. Maury would be out of business lol, but whatever. People need to stop being so damn slutty and start taking care of their kids.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Not sure how I feel about this. If you are getting physically abused do you really want to have required counseling??? I would want to get the heck out of there and not look back.

I do think getting counseling before marriage is a good idea though. I even think getting counseling every couple of years is a good idea especially after having children. Most marriages suffer after children are born.

This would probably put the Vegas wedding chapels out of business as well!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I don't agree with legislating it. It's a good idea, but it comes at an additional cost. Sometimes things just don't work out and you know there isn't a way to make it work. What good will the therapy do when you are already emotionally gone? Just puts monen in someone else's pocket.

I don't know much about common law marriage so I can't comment on that one.

People need to stop being so damn slutty and start taking care of their kids.  ~ anon :30

LOL, anon, thank you for making me laugh this morning.  I completely agree with you BTW. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• *puts money in someone else's pocket*

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2010