How common are evap lines on a hpt?

I am about 4 or 5 days away from my period, and yesterday I took a first response test that said you could take it 6 days before your period. At 3 minutes there was a very faint line. then today I took a walgreens brand (it's supposed to be like ept) and there was a very faint line there too. I keep reading about evap lines and i was wondering if anyone has gotten those and how common they are. I have never had one on a test before, or even heard of them. I'm trying not to give my hopes up.

mantamoo

Asked by mantamoo at 8:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I think as long as you look at the test in the amount of time it tells you then it is a positive and not an evaporated line. If you go past the time limit then I think you are more than likely to get an evaporated line. I have never had one though. My positives were always positive.

Good luck!
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 8:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I recently just ran into this problem...In January, I took two blue dye test (they were Rite Aid Pharmacy brand) from two separate boxes and they both came out very very faint positive. I then tried some digital test (which I read aren't as sensitive as the regular line tests) and they came out negative. I even went to get a blood test and that came out negative. So, I'm guessing my tests were either evaporation lines or false positives. I did a ton of research about it online (and drove myself crazy about it!!) and read that evaporation lines are more or less colorless or gray. I also read that false positives are way more common in blue dye tests. You took a first response test and that is a pink dye test, right? Since you got a faint positive with that, I would trust that it is a true positive. I would definitely call your doc and get a blood test done just to be sure, though. Good luck!
    aefranc

Answer by aefranc at 9:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I think you are probably pregnant. I've only gotten evaporation lines with Answer tests. Evaporation lines are colorless (gray ghost lines). Faint positives are colored (pale pink or blue depending on the brand). If you got a pale colored line then you're pregnant.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2010