Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I not pay my rent if things aren't fixed?

I've lived here for over two months and there's things that need to be fixed that were on my check in sheet. Two weeks ago today, I put in a work order to have these things fixed. This includes mold growing on my kitchen wall!! I've asked her about it and she keeps saying that she's going to call maintenance. I'm not living in a house that has mold growing (it was there before I moved in and it's behind the fridge so I didn't see it). My landlord is a company and it's really starting to piss me off.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (20)
  • You could always report them to the better business bureau, I did that for a POS pervert landlord I had in California and someone actually came out and inspected his houses and he was fined big time. =)

    Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • You can refuse to pay part of your rent if things are not fixed, but they must be things that affect the liveablility of the apartment. Like broken water heaters, appliances, and things like that. And you must be prepared to fight them in court if they file eviction paperwork. If there is mold growing and it was on the move-in checklist, call the health inspector. They will issue fines and force the landlord to fix it.

    Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • You have to set up an escrow account and put the rent money in there and don't release the money to landlord until work is done..


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • Yes and no. We went through something similar to this one of the times we lived off base, and while it didn't get this far, we had to research the process and was just about at the point of doing it (and they knew it) when they fixed it.

    What you need to do is contact the housing authority in your area. They will look into your complaints. If they decide that your complaints have merit, then what happens is you still pay your rent, BUT, the landlord doesn't get the money. It basically goes into a special account, and the landlord has to fix the stuff before they can have the money, and they also have so long to fix it before they get all these penalties and stuff. (Or, depending on what it is, before the house is condemned.)


    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • What Anon :22 said!!! That's exactly it. Make sure you keep receipts from deposits, so that if and when the landlord takes you to court for that rent, you can show the judge. Take pictures of the things that need to be fixed...and grab a renter's guide and begin looking at other apartments!!!

    Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 9:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • Legally (in FL anyway, elsewhere too but most l.iikely not all states) if there is MOLD then landlord cannot even rent out the house I believe . So if there is mold you should get out of there, JUST IMO lol

    Answer by threeeunder3 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • Also look into the laws in your state and county about renting. Like Renter's Rights or something like that. Closely examine your renter's contract that you signed. There's certain things get you out of a lease or things that a landlord legally has to do

    Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • You can not just stop paying rent. However, you can place your rent payments in escrow until your landlord fixes the issues. You'll need to write her a letter (keep a dated copy) and give her 10 days to fix the issue, if she still does not, you can start to place your payments in escrow until the issues are taken care of.

    When you sign a lease you are signing a contract and are legally bound by it to make those rent payments. By putting them in escrow you are keeping your end of the bargain, but you are still stopping your landlord from getting it...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • SabrinaMBowen is totally right. Make an account at the bank just for the escrow payments; make the the name of the account - Rent Escrow Payments. When you send the letter make sure that it is a CERTIFIED letter. that's very important and of course make a copy of it and make a copy of the thing they send back to you that says that he or she received it and signed for it. But send the letter first and don't set up the escrow account until "x" amount of days that you have given her as stated in th certified letter. GL.

    Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • I don't understand why you moved in knowing mold was there anyway. Check your local city for renters right. Most places you can deposit your rent with the courts till things are fixed, or pay to get it fixed yourself and deduct from the rent. Save receipts.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.