Are backpack carriers good for newborns?

Is it safe on their spine, hips, etc. I already bought one but I"m not sure if I should return it and get ones like the Maya Wrap etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's the same as a crib, maybe a a tad bit harder. newborns will also sleep comfortably in their carriers for a long time.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I think backpack carriers re the wrong type for a newborn. Have you considered a wrap?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Are you talking about a Kelty hiking backpack or just a sling/baby bjorn that can go on your back? A newborn cannot go in a hiking back pack. The baby has to be able to sit up and big enough. We had one from DS1 and DD although sitting at an early age was way too small for the back pack.

I would go for some sort of front pack or a sling.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i don't think it is safe. you should look at one and see what the recommended ages are.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No, not for a newborn. For an older baby that can hold their head up, maybe. Personally, for a newborn I like the Moby style wraps and when they're a bit bigger, I like the ring slings.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, but if it's something worn where the baby is on your back I would say it's too early for that - you will want to be able to see your little one while you carry them.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010