How old was your son when you started potty training and what age was he trained by?

My son is going to be 3 soon so I am trying to potty train him. He wont wear his pull ups or underwear. He still wants his diaper. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my sons was 23 months when trained, he started at maybe 21 months just to see if he could do it. we went slow and i gave him jelly beans as a reward, he got to pick his jelly beans and loved it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:40 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My boys were 24 months when I started and by 3 yrs 1 month they were potty trained. but one still has an issue where he purposely wets himself. Anyways, about the diaper....they went thru that phase . IMO pull ups actually inhibit potty training, go right to underwear. Underwear feels weird to him to wear so it just takes some time. try gettting underwear with his favorite character. Like for my boys it was Lightning McQueen and Diego.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My son was 3 months shy of 3 and he was potty trained in 3 days. Let him go to the store and pick out some big boy underwear (at least 2 packages). Both my kids loved that and they both got a song "(insert name) went pee pee in the potty, (name) went pee pee in the potty, (name) went pee pee in the potty, cause (he's/she's) a big (boy/girl) now! (To the tune of "we are looking for blues clues) and they got one sticker for going pee in the potty and two for poop. The best thing I found is to immediately put them in underwear and fill them with tons of fluid. Take them potty every half hour to 45 minutes to just try. If you see they are having/ or have had an accident- immediately run them to the potty and have them sit. They will realize how yucky it is to have wet undies. Save Pull ups for Nap time or Bed time but call them Night time underwear.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:52 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• 18 months...started and trained
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My first son was about 2 1/2; he basically asked one morning to use the potty and that was that. :)

My second son was not at all interested in getting out of diapers. Two weeks before his 4th birthday I put him in underwear and three days later he was completely trained, with only a few accidents in those 3 days.
    D.Mary

Answer by D.Mary at 10:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I started all of mine on their 2nd bdays and they were all pottytrained (day and night) between 30-32 mos. old.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2010