stop having kids if you can't afford them

i'm not talking about people who have children and then someone gets laid off and money is tight-that's understandable. i'm talking about the people on public assistance that continue to lay on their back and get pregnant and have over $500 in food stamps, $300 in cash assistance and section 8 housing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• i agree, what a pain and a drain on society.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I agree. And It's not even aboutt he PUBLIC aspect, it's about the welfare of the KIDS. It's not right to them and their chances of growing up and living out of poverty themselves is low. BUT it does happen, thankfully. In Florida, I'm pretty sure that you can only be on welfare for a certain amount of time, not very long, and they push you to get a job and even provide daycare (free) to look for a job. They could go so much further. It would be WAY MORE cost effective, in the long-run, for GENERATIONS even, to assist these people with going to school, getting degrees, putting themselves in a position where they willl no longer need to be on PA. We ourselves are on foodstamps but not until after DD was born, an my husband has always worked a fulltime job and paid taxes, I hve always worked part time and I've been in school to become an RN so that we won't HAVE TO be on food stamp and Im not proud of bein on it either FYI
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I would rather say that it is better for the MOTHER to stop having kids. I know it's hard to have kids when you don't have the funds to meet their needs. I had my son when i wasn't ready and i had to rely on government assistance for a while and it helped a lot but i needed more in order to meet his needs completely. and besides that, I need stuff too! why not work? than i popped out my second baby and thank goodness i was married. I still need a little help from WIC but that's about it and now i'm looking at how we're doing now and i know for sure that we will not be able to have another kid. Medicaid does cover sterilization and temporary birth control. the point of government assistance is to help you GET ON YOUR FEET. i think you need to at least TRY! that's my point.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 9:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I got over $500 in food stamps when we were working!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• well deg... how come we only got 100??????
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:00 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• oh yeah that is right. gosh you get SOOO much money from PA! keep popping the babies
    *sarcasm*
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Khmymommi...it depends on a bunch of factors. Like your combined income, personal assets, how many people are in the home, and they use a sliding scale to calculate.

I was on BCBS insurance when I had my twins and on Medicaid when I had my daughter. I got Mirena put in (postpartum medicaid covers mother for a year) to NOT take advantage of Medicaid - put that sucker in and I'm golden for 5 years - long before then we should be in a position where we don't need FS anymore!
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I grew up in Michigan which was the highest welfare state for a long time- all to often people would openly say that they would have more and more kids because the more kids they had the more money they got.

sad but true-

but then sadly, I'm seeing all to often that for many people it's not about the child's well being-
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I don't think there is anything wrong with using Public Assistance as long as you're doing it to get ahead...but I agree that its not right to get pregnant while you're on it...because you never know what will happen and its hard to save money and get ahead when you're pregnant and supporting an additional family member...
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 10:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Stop spending your life judging others. You only get one, don't you think your time is better spent doing productive things?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2010