Do you read ingredient labels?

Or do you simply follow the nutrition "facts" on the package?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 9:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I read both
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "Unhealthy", or what ingredients would prevent you from buying a product after you read the label?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Anything I can't go and directly buy...(ie; unpronouncable stuff, chemical) also high fructose corn syrup, I also read the nutrition facts too. Looking for too much sodium, fat. I read it all.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It depends on the product, and what ingredient I'm curious about. One of my kids has celiac disease, so I have to check some products for gluten. Other times I'm looking at fat or sodium content or just calories per serving.
    D.Mary

Answer by D.Mary at 10:29 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Yes, I pore over labels everytime I'm buying something, because I've found they like to sneak in fake sweeteners without labelling the front of the box. HFC is another my biggie for me. Bread is the worst. Very hard to find it made w/o HFC, weird, huh? If the list is long I pass it up.
    ninipanini

Answer by ninipanini at 10:46 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• nutritional label to see what their recommended serving size is, but other than that, nope.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I pay more attention to individual ingredients then "nutritional value". If it is loaded with chemicals then it can't be very nutritious.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i rarely look at the nutritional information, unless it is to compare prices and i need to look at servings per container. sometimes i am interested in grams of sugar.
    i pay very close attention to the ingredients list. if there are chemicals, preservatives, colorings, flavorings, etc. we don't usually buy it. we do have our junk food moments though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Only to find out if there is any artifical sweetners in the products. I do NOT buy anything with aritficial sweetners. Otherwise, I don't care what is in the food. I eat in moderation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We don't buy much packaged food other than rice, dried beans, and tortillas. I do check the ingredient list. It has better info than the nutrition facts-- something can be low in fat, high in fiber, and an excellent source of Vitamin A but then when it's filled with processed chemical crap, it's not going home with us.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:24 PM on Mar. 8, 2010